We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist safety

Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist safety

Is it safe for a woman travelling alone to visit Cameroon?

23 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist safety

I would like to say yes, but it really depends on which part of cameroon you would be visiting. In Limbe or kribi and out west i think you would be ok, but in Douala in particular I would be very careful, Also depends on how good your french is! I haven't done it yet but it is possible to hire a security guard just to hang out with you when you need and i think is pretty cheap maybe $500 US for a month. I would also make sure you use a driver that is reccomended by your hotel, the taxis can be a bit dodgy, plus as soon as they see a tourist the price will double :)

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist safety

i don't have a good answer for you, but i have the same question! when are you going? i will be there (as a solo woman) for just over a month Feb-March. i'll be based in yaounde, doing some volunteer work for an organization there, but i hope to travel too. if you will happen to be there as well, perhaps we can be in contact and join forces...

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist safety

i don't have a good answer for you, but i have the same question! when are you going? i will be there (as a solo woman) for just over a month Feb-March. i'll be based in yaounde, doing some volunteer work for an organization there, but i hope to travel too. if you will happen to be there as well, perhaps we can be in contact and join forces...

Toronto
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist safety

Thanks for your E-mail, curbear, but I don't know when I'm going or if at this point. I'm just doing my due diligence.

Have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist safety

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Cameroon for two years. I can tell you that no matter how exotic a place is, it's just like home. Large cities have lots of crimes (all kinds) and you need to be on guard just like you would in NYC, small rural areas are very safe. Just use your common sense.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist safety

thanks, u4ea!

any other good tips - don't-miss places, or places to avoid? i'm leaving friday, for a month. :)

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist safety

Curbear, would you post an update and let us know about your trip, please? My son will be traveling to Cameroon in a couple of weeks. Thanks...

Bosnia and...
Level Contributor
8 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist safety

As with any overseas trip, U.S. citizens should check travel.state.gov for the latest tourist information. As of Dec 2012, there are several local travel warnings in Cameroon, most notably in the Melong area by the crater lakes--see my most recent review of that area on tripadvisor. You should also register with the U.S. embassy (on this same website), particularly with your email address and local phone. If there are new local travel warnings, you'll get them at the same time the embassy does.

I disagree that Douala is just as safe as "back home" or in NYC. Not any more (if that was ever true). Crime rates, particularly violent crime, are increasing at alarming rates.

In Douala, I would NOT recommend that single women travel alone at night in any part of the city. During the day, use common sense and neither men nor women should wear any expensive jewelry, watches, or purses in crowded areas. Even during daylight, there have been recent purse snatchings and necklaces ripped off women's necks in the Akwa area (one occurred inside a large local supermarket).

If you take a taxi, buy the entire taxi (e.g. no other riders) whether you are a man or woman. Also, make sure the driver appears sober--several recent incidents of taxis getting into fatal accidents where the driver was well over .08 blood alcohol content.

If you get into trouble, go to the nearest gendarme station (they wear the red berets). Although they are not always the most honest when it comes to traffic fines and kick-backs, they are reliable for people in trouble. Do not go to one of the local security guard companies--they may or may not help you out. My wife was verbally assaulted by a group of security guards in a company truck during a recent walk (Cameroon Africa Security).

This should not keep you from traveling here--just make sure you are informed.

Douala, Cameroon
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist safety

i would advice you if it is the first time you come to cameroon to be assist by some one just to learne how thing happen in this country and you wil do as your whish next time.but notice that has a wouman your are expose to the usualies désagrements that a wouman can have to any part of the world if she's in the wrong place in the bad time ,so if you dicede to make the trip alone you have to be strong only.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist safety

I have been looking for good volunteer program that travel outta of the USA..

Reply to: Tourist safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Douala
Recent Conversations