We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
474 reviews
Save Topic
Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

I would like to spread my experience of a fantastic tour in a not so difficult country like Cameroon with all difficulties caused by an unprofessional, not serious local tour operator, AfroTours of Douala. Avoid them (I could tell a lot of stories about this experience) but also it is my impression that the choice of a tour operator is something, in this case and in this country, not to do only through few suggestions on the web but with a solid set of references.

Wanting for example just have a smooth taste of the country and aiming to see something without problems it is better to organize everything once there, eventually with the help of references given by hotel of international standard or someone well known - like expats and people living there.

Don't pay nothing in advance !

16 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

I wanted to go to Cameroon but decide to not do it yet just because I cannot find some good solution for to travel there. Some was telling to not rent a car and go alone because there are many police controls and it costs every time. Other say it is no problem.

The other thing why we decide to not go yet is, that it is difficult to choice where going. It is quite big country with so much to explore, but we have only 2 weeks and are afraid to choice just wrong. So I wonder to ask you where you were going? What you did.

Grateful for your info.

italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Only one advise, just to say, according to my personal opinion.

If you don't have in mind to do too many complex things or reaching remote areas -.in other words wanting to see the most touristic places - better is to arrive to Douala, stay one or 2 nights in an international standard Hotel (like Le Meridien) and ask there help to the concierge for contacting a valid driver with car (eventually rent a car with a driver)

Other hotels and lodging options could be found through internet there.

Cameroon is not a difficult place to visit. Avoid local tour operators, in any case they will cost the double you can spend organizing all by yourselves.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Thank for your advice, anyway we will not take some organized tour because we not like guides :) maybe the car with driver so we can decide self where we will go. Did you been in Korup park, Ring road area, Limbe and Kribi? This places I was thinking can be interesting to explore and manage in 2 weeks. But still I am not sure about.

Edited: 10 November 2011, 17:08
italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

I went to Limbe and especially to Kribi where I found one of the niciest hotel you can stay not only in Africa: Hotel Ilomba, it worths a minimum of 3 nights of relaxing and exploring the area around.

Limbe is safe and close to Mt. Cameroun, a good basis to see things around.

I had also a taste of the area of Ring Road discovering another gem of an hotel, in the middle of nowhere, called Domain Du Petnenoum (see website and my review on TA), close to Foumban and Bafoussan

West of Cameroon is very easy and safe.

You can do all these things with a driver and a car, just it is not the cheapest way to explore the country but surely the most pleasant.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Thanks very much, I will see how we do, but now we decide anyway to go to Sao Tome one more time, I liked so much. Ciao.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1,152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Chia Christopher proved a good guide on a two week culture and dive trip through the south and north of camerooo. He is from the south but lived ten years in the north and has all the contacts for good drivers and 4 wheel drives. You can reach him at nyahtourism@yahoo.com. Tel. +237-770-71521 or +237-3307-7612.

Global Bush is also honest and very can do, but could use a bit more experience: www.globalbushtratour.com

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1,152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Chia Christopher proved a good guide on a two week culture and dive trip through the south and north of camerooo. He is from the south but lived ten years in the north and has all the contacts for good drivers and 4 wheel drives. You can reach him at nyahtourism@yahoo.com. Tel. +237-770-71521 or +237-3307-7612.

Global Bush is also honest and very can do, but could use a bit more experience: www.globalbushtratour.com

Ra'anana, Israel
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

Dear Tommaso!

I read your words about Afro tours and got a fright because I am on my way to travel with them.can you tell me more about them.dany@gutman.co.il

italy
Level Contributor
9 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

In my esperience and looking at experiences of other tourists I can honestly say that afrotours and his so called managing director Mr. Patrick or is a bandit or is so unprofessional and dangerously not in the condition to manage tourists,

The list of bad things done in 10 days is so incredible, just to say that the hotels were not properly booked and paid, the driver was not supplied with enough money so the CAR went out of fuel (but it was also broken) and I was obliged to pay for it

Don"t trust him in any case and don"t pay anything in advance. After 8 months I am still waiting for the refund of an hotel in Douala that he had to pay and at the end of a number of incredible problems I was obliged to pay by myself having already paid cash to him the full tour cost. If you are still in time to avoid them please do it. If not use my name, Tommaso, italian, traveling in april, asking to avoid all my problems and remembering him I am still waiting the refund he guaranteed.

I visited more that 100 countries in the last 30 years but never I have had a similar bad experience with a local travel agent. Sorry !

Tommaso

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
7,905 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators

It is some hacker who was jumping on this site www.globalbushtratour.com

Reply to: Better alone than using not trustable local tour operators
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted