We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pit stop w/ kids

Dayton, Ohio
8 posts
Save Topic
pit stop w/ kids

We'll be heading up to northern MI and plan to use Ann Arbor as a pit stop. We've got 3 children so someplace not far from 94/23 where we can get a good meal (it'll be late morning/lunchtime) and let the kids run around for an hour or two.

Any suggestions?

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pit stop w/ kids

Hi--if the weather is nice, I'd suggest stopping to grab some sandwiches at Zingermans (they're expensive but huge so one sandwich would feed all 3 kids and another would feed two adults) and heading to a park to blow off some steam. Zingerman's is less than 5 minutes off the Main Street exit on M14 and there are a couple of Ann Arbor parks close by. Wheeler Park is small, but only a couple blocks from Zingerman's. Here's the description of it:

Wheeler Park is a 1.93-acre neighbor park located between 4th and 5th and Depot. For its small size, it is packed with activities. The park contains a playground, restroom building with water fountain, a walking/running track, basketball court, plaza with benches, picnic shelter with picnic tables and grills, an open field area, and an asphalt walk connection to all of the activities. There is parking available on the street.

Here's the website for Zingerman's which is a long-time Ann Arbor foodie fav:

http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

Edited: 09 July 2011, 00:12
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pit stop w/ kids

How old are your kids? When my kids were younger they always loved Joe's Crab Shack on I-94. They have a wonderful kids play area and the restaurant is very good. It is very convenient to the highways.

joescrabshack.com/locations/…

Moms

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
74 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pit stop w/ kids

It's hot right now. Why not hop off US23, head south on Huron Parkway until you hit Fuller Road and stop at Fuller Park for some fun in the water? There is a small fee to enter the pool ($4 adults, $3.50 for 17 and under, FREE for 3 and under) but worth it. Clean facilities, friendly staff, waterslide (!), large pool, and plenty of space to unwind from being in the car. You can't bring in outside food, however, there is vending on site.

I would skip Zingerman's and save a visit when you have more time. Yeah, it's an A2 fav, but, in my opinion, the food is too expensive even if the sandwiches are big. Plus, Kerrytown (where Zing's is located) and downtown are interesting enough where you'd need more than a few hours to explore. Save your money for gas since you are only stopping in town for a little while. On your way back out to US23, there are plenty of spots to eat such as Applebee's, Qdoba (mexican), Panera Bread, Domino's Pizza, Evergreen (chinese), McDonald's, Carson's (american fare), or Olga's (sandwich wraps). Convenient area to get back onto US23 and continue your journey.

Enjoy!

Edited: 18 July 2011, 15:38
4. Re: pit stop w/ kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Ann Arbor