We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

cincinnati,ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

My husband and I are going up this year for the art festivals in July, and I am concerned with getting around on my "scooter". Also what are the MUST Sees while we are there? We will be there for 4 days. Thanks! Barb in Ohio

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

Though it has been years since I have been to the art fairs, I don't see an issue for you once you get to them. The fairs are in the streets that are blocked off to traffic. I believe most (if not all) downtown Ann Arbor sidewalk crossings at intersections are ADA compliant. Over the years, I have see a fair amount of wheelchairs and scooters downtown.

Parking is generally the biggest concern around AA, even more so during art fair week. Most people will park at Pioneer high school where there are shuttle buses that take people to the fairs. According to the artfair website, the buses appear to be wheelchair assessable.

I have lived in the general Ann Arbor area for the past 25 years. I don't think I can help you with any "must sees" as I do not view Ann Arbor as a tourist destination (I usually do everything I can to avoid downtown Ann Arbor). Gallop park is nice, there is a Hands-on Museum downtown near the main fire station, U of M has their botanical gardens - though you probably have similar things in Cinci.

artfairs.visitannarbor.org/parkingandshuttle/

http://www.artfairs.visitannarbor.org/

Mentioned in this post
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum
445 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

You will want to ride the shuttles with your scooter--they will drop you off closer to all the action than searching endlessly for a parking place. All AATA buses are fully accessible so there'll be a lowering ramp to pick up your scooter. Maybe you want to ride the shuttle from the Briarwood Mall and shop a bit there as well.

The city's streets/sidewalks are accessible, but it'll be the crowds that give you the most trouble.

Hum, must sees? Campus is nice to wander around a bit, but most/all buildings will be locked due to crowd control. There are a couple of smallish museums on campus that are nice, but I've never tried to visit them during Art Fair so I don't know if they keep their regular hours.

Zingerman's Deli is usually a favorite stop for a meal for out-of-towners. Expensive, but sandwiches are huge enough to share.

If the crowds start to wear on you, the city's parks are nice. Gallup is good for a picnic if the weather cooperates.

For most of us who live in Ann Arbor, especially those who work downtown or on campus, Art Fair presents logistical hassles that make us lose sight of how other people enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Briarwood Mall
Briarwood Mall
62 Reviews
Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
cincinnati,ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

Thank You so much for your replies! I am really looking forward to going, as I love to explore. Its so nice that I have gotten two replies so quickly. And now that I know the shuttle is handicap acessiable I know I will have a wonderful time! This is a wonderful forum for people traveling, thanks so much for your input. Barb in Ohio

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
4. Re: How handicapped friendly is Ann Arbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 03:17