We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in late July, early August...?

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in late July, early August...?

Hallo there and greetings from Ireland. I had sworn to myself NOT to ask this question but just couldn't help it... We get a LOT of questions about the Irish weather on the Ireland forum which, as you might know, is completely unpredictable (cool and dull today heading towards mid-June). I just looked up a few weather websites and got average temperatures of about 30 degrees Celsius for late July and early August. I am wilting already... Is this normal? Not me wilting (I tend to at anything over 20 degrees Celsius) but the temperature?

Thanks and please go easy on me, guys... after all, you might post a question about the weather on the Ireland forum one of these days... :)

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

30 (86F) degrees sounds about right. Expect hot and extremely humid weather that time of year. Thunderstorms are common. Then again, our weather is rather unpredictable as well. You might also get a 15 (60F) degree day in there and feel like you're freezing.

Generally, though, I wouldn't expect it to be much lower than 25 (75F) for the day's high temperatures in July and August.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

Thank you very much, jenifera. Seems I'll just have to bear it, phew!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
670 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

We do have plenty of air-conditioning here, though, so you should be able to find someplace to help stop the melting. I feel your pain. I live in Michigan because I don't like a hot climate, but there's no way to escape it entirely.

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
SE Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

What jenifera2 said - hot and humid. But here's some temperature humor to help you grin and bear it. When I first moved to Michigan, I was listening to a Canadian radio station in my car, without realizing it was Canadian. They started announcing the weather, and gave temperatures in the high 20s or low 30s, and I thought "wow, it gets a LOT colder up in the northern part of Michigan!" I eventually figured out what was going on...

:^)

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

Thanks for the giggle, common-family!

The Canadians are very sensible people using Celsius, it makes it sooo much easier for me... ;)

I had better write out a conversion chart for Fahrenheit and Celsius...

Breaking out in sweat just thinking about the temperatures but never mind, we're really looking forward to our trip!

Yes, jenifera, air conditioning... cool! (Haha, rather weak joke.) We're staying with a friend and she's promised to have the air-conditioning in full working order.

Thanks again, guys!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

For a quick and dirty F --> C conversion, just subtract 30 and divide the result by 2. So 86F - 30 = 56 / 2 =~ 28 C.

The actual formula is (Deg F - 32) / 1.8 but rounding makes it a little easier to do in your head. (86F actually is 30C)

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,360 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

That's very handy. Thank you, tev!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,915 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

Hello Clauds!!

I have a few handy markers that guide me with the celsius to fahrenheit question.

16C = 61F

22C = 72F

28C = 82F

Above those temperatures, it's too hot and I am definitely wilting. Michigan's summer and winter temperatures are indeed extreme for someone used to those in Ireland.

If you can at all, for your next visit, make it late September into early October. Autumn is when Michigan is at its most beautiful, imho.

Check out accuweather.com for Ann Arbor (or elsewhere in North America) where you can get a 15-day forecast in either metric or 'english' (read: imperial or degrees Fahrenheit):

http://www.accuweather.com/

Enjoy your visit to southeast Michigan!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor
Michigan
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
Level Contributor
993 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

Clauds! How fun to see your post on the Michigan forum - when I am used to seeing you in the Ireland one. I guess I missed it the first time because we were enjoying Ireland.

Where all will you get to visit while you are here? Probably not my side of the state -- but if you get a chance -- it is beautiful The beaches along Lake Michigan are lovely. Today it is a beautiful 66F. light wind. It always feels a little cooler when we are down by the lake -- because the water temps are only 60'sF.

Be prepared, it CAN get very warm the end of July and early Aug. definitely in the 90Fs. Remember to bring your sunscreen and a hat!

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
374 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in late July, early August...?

This year, so far has been very cool. Right now it is 11:00 am and it is only 68 degrees and I believe our high for the day is only going to be 71-73 degrees. That is very mild.

I actually just got back from Mexico so I could enjoy some heat, sun and water fun. I am hoping that the temps around here start to rise so I can do the same here!

Bottom line is, You never know what it is going to be like in Michigan. My mom lives in Tennessee and she KNOWS that it is going to be HOT HOT HOT during the summer months. Up here, we just leave it up to mother nature and roll with it.

Have fun no matter what!

EB

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States