We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

Berlin,WI
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

I hope someone can give me some information on hotels. We are going to a U of M football game in Sept. of 2008 and need to find a hotel, motel or BNB within walking distance of downtown. As long as we will be at the game only a short time of our weekend we would rather be downtown within walking distance(1 or 2 miles) of brewpubs, restaurants, etc. Somewhere that would be $150 a night or less, Would like it to include breakfast but not absolutely necessary.

Detroit
Level Contributor
754 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

I think the Campus Inn would be best if you want to be able to walk to restaurants and pubs, it's located downtown. The Bell Tower hotel is also located in that area.

http://www.campusinn.com/home.html

I'm not sure if you'll have a car or not, but I would conisder the Holiday Inn Express. It's located right by Briarwood mall and it's a very short drive to downtown. There is also a shuttle from Briarwood and the HI express on gamedays.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/arbmi;jsessionid=0OLRXOPRTOAFACTGWAJSIIQKM0YBIIY4?firstpoint=dcb1&_requestid=405862

Let me know if you need any other help. I take it that you're coming in for the Wisconsin game. I was in Madison last weekend for the first time, we had a fabulous time (even though we lost). The city is beautiful and the fans we encountered were great.

Berlin,WI
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

Thank you so much for your kind words about the Wisconsin fans. We try to be nice to everyone from opposing teams. And thank you for the information on the hotels. I've looked into the Holiday Inn Express and that might be the one we go with. We will have a car but wanted to walk everywhere because we'll be drinking a bit. I will look into the other 2 hotels but I think they're a bit more expensive than we had planned.

Detroit
Level Contributor
754 posts
75 reviews
3. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

Someone will have to be the DD! ;) There are some really cool bars in downtown AA that are really worth checking out. I'll shoot you a message closer to the game date next year!

Enjoy the rest of the college football season!!

SE Michigan
Level Contributor
68 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

Did you see the TripAdvisor list of B&Bs?

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29556-d5022…

Ann Arbor Bed & Breakfast is right by campus, so you'd be in the thick of the campus bar scene and just a few blocks from downtown proper. The Burnt Toast Inn is a few blocks (downhill) from downtown (and perhaps a little closer to the stadium than AAB&B). The Eighth Street Trekker's Lodge is a bit farther from downtown than Burnt Toast, maybe 10 to 15 minutes walk from downtown but one block from a bus line, which might be convenient come game time. (I happen to live a few blocks west of it, so know the area well!) The owner is a very interesting person - she plays the carillon at Kerrytown and also leads treks to Nepal.

If you want to stay at any of these places on a home game weekend, you are wise to be investigating now!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
259 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

Unlike most of southeastern Michigan, Ann Arbor has pretty good public transportation. You could easily stay at the Holiday Inn or any other hotel by Briarwood and take a bus to downtown, avoiding the need for a DD. http://www.aata.org/

Sarah

Auburn, IN
3 posts
6. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

We recently stayed at Davies House in Georgetown Bed and Breakfast. Rates were within you range with a variety of rooms from which to choose. The innkeeper is fabulous! She made us restaurant reservations, dropped us off at graduation so we wouldn't have to park, took dietary preferences into consideration, and is a wealth of knowledge about community resources. We learned about Davies House in Georgetown from our daughter, whose friends stayed there during football season. They had a great time. The innkeeper provided them with extra jackets (it was unexpectedly cold), stadium seats and blankets, and even invited them to their tailgate! They said it was like staying with family! PS. They stayed in Dottie's Suite - Queen bed, private bath & fireplace. We stayed in a Family Suite: two smaller rooms, each with a double bed, that shared a bath. The Jacuzzi Suite was already booked. The food was amazing: mouthwatering Hot Rum Apple Granola with Hazelnut Creme and a fabulous breakfast burrito with herbed goat cheese and spinach! Yum.

PA
1 post
7. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

My wife and I stayed at Davies House in Georgetown for the Penn State Game this year. It is located on the first fairway of a golf course, quiet residential neighborhood, 1-2 miles from the stadium; 2-3 miles from downtown, right on bus route - although the innkeeper was very accomodating with transportation, restaurant reservations, church schedules, shopping suggestions - just a wealth of information. She knows the owners of two GREAT pubs: Leopold Brothers and Arbor Brewing. She's lived there for 30 years and is a season ticket holder, so loves football. She even hung a Penn State flag for us! Made it really fun. Took us to her tailgate. Made it a really memorable trip for us. We stayed in Dottie's Suite - private bath, Queen bed, fireplace, big wing chairs. Breakfast was amazing. In your price range and well worth every cent. You won't go wrong. If you ask her, she might even pick you up at the airport (cheap). We'll be back for another Penn State affair.

Berlin,WI
Level Contributor
106 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

We are driving to the game, so will have a car to get around in. But walking is a much better option. We are booked at the First Street Garden Inn and the four of us will be taking up both rooms in the house. So won't have to deal with all kinds of noise from other people. Walking distance to everything also.

9. Re: Trip to U of M game in Sept.2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 00:19
Get answers to your questions about Ann Arbor