We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Is it safe for Asians to transit through Dubai? This article seems to portray the rule of law is a little iffy.

The following and 2 other cases are detailed in an article (url below)

"In the Christmas Eve case, the family was prevented from boarding their departing flight at the airport in Dubai and detained for 14 hours in a case of mistaken identity.

It was a nightmare because the wife and her 13-year-old daughter were separated from the husband and made to spend the night in a crowded police cell.

In response to media queries, a spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said the family was detained at the airport by Dubai immigration authorities on Christmas Eve last year.

Their mobile phones were confiscated and they were not allowed to contact their relatives or the Singapore Consulate-General in Dubai for assistance.

After being held at the airport for about three hours, the family was then taken to the Dubai Police Criminal Investigation Department Headquarters, where they spent the night in separate holding cells.

The spokesman said: "At no stage was the family informed of the reason for their detention nor were their questions addressed by the police personnel.

"The daughter was also kept with her mother in a cell with about 40 other females of ill-repute, despite her young age."

The following morning, the husband and wife were interrogated separately.

After the questioning, the Dubai police finally acknowledged that they were mistaken and had detained the wrong people."

asiaone.com/News/…A1Story20120104-319727.html

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Yes it's safe and easier than it is for Asians to enter the UK or USA.

The article clearly states that there was a case of mistaken identity and so I'm not sure what your point - yes, it must have been really worrying for the individuals but in perspective it is one case and as a percentage of the thousands of Asians that enter and transit Dubai it isnt even worth mentioning and certainly not as an example of the norm.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

I think a little perspective is needed on the article. Last year alone 32million people flew with Emirates, 10million of those entered Dubai. This article brings a handful of previously reported cases to light, seemingly most of them proved guilty!

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

And is this an isolated case as well?

…insing.com/tabloid/…id-5f263f00

Or how about the various cases listed in this recent article?

asiaone.com/News/…A1Story20120104-319727.html

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

And your point is what exactly, Thomas T?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

I think it's that you stand a 5 in 60million chance in being stopped by Dubai immigration ...

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,729 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Yes they are isolated cases - simple maths will tell you that

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Yes they are isolated cases - but they have occurred,,,

still no official outcome on the incident below-

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376649/British…

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
557 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Yes they are isolated cases

tens of thousands travel through dubai every day.

1 case of mistaken identity in which detainees were treated no differently to anyone else who has been detained, and released the next morning.

the police detain hundreds of people every day.

1 case of a death in custody.

read between the lines.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

In this day and age, I am not sure I would travel in charge of anyone's children without some sort of formal document from the parents to confirm that they had asked me to. Incidentally, what happened to the kids? I can't remember them being mentioned again in the article.

As for the sad case of the young man who died who had been staying at BAA, I may be wrong but I believe he was arrested because he attacked a member of staff at the hotel and there were quite a lot of questions being asked about his stay here.

I can remember when everyone was scared to travel to Thailand and Turkey in case something happened. I don't think that Dubai is any better or worse than anywhere else. Thank goodness we have a relatively low crime rate, which is more than can be said for many other countries.

airtrainandplane
Level Contributor
738 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singaporean family detained in Dubai cell with criminals

Ozzie, a simple search will tell you that the Dubai police are responsible for more than one death in custody has occurred,

read between the lines,,,,