We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription drugs

london
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription drugs

I have searched this topic and all the links that give a list of the banned drugs don't seem to work.

I have been given some prescription drugs which I need for my holiday, they have my name on the bottle- do I still need a prescription?

Or does anyone know if I can take Cyclizine into Dubai? Thanks

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription drugs

Yes, you will need to be in possession of a prescription or doctors letter stating you require the medicines in the unlikely event you are stopped by customs.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,019 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription drugs

It's not a question of 'if you can take it' you are on presecription and therefore have to take it.

Dubai customs are not out to prevent holidaymakers taking prescribed medication - they have zero tolerance for substance abuse and will act accordingly if they believe an individual is guilty of that.

There is also a bizarrely high and out of proportion amount of scare stories that circulate in the media (particularly the British media ) and cause people to worry.

ALL countries have regulations regarding the import of prescribed medication (including the UK) so if you were a foreign visitor to the UK or you were going to USA, Austrailia, Italy or anywhere else you would need to carry a copy of the prescription or a doctors letter with the item. You need to keep it in it's original packaging and in your hand luggage - you only need to proudce the documentation if asked.

london
Level Contributor
181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription drugs

Thanks for this, I have phoned the surgery and asked them to do me a letter (£12.50) better safe than sorry. As we are flying onto Australia from Dubai also- better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the advice!

4. Re: Prescription drugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 10:19