We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement rings!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Engagement rings!

Hi,

We are going to Dubai soon and hope to buy a ring!I have a few questions I hope you can help me with!

-Where is the best place to buy the ring/diamonds?

-What is the best way to see if they are genuine?

-How much should we expect to pay for a Platinum band,3 round cut stones,one to two carats,D,E orF colour VS1 toVS2??

-How much should we expect to pay for two wedding bands in platinum (mine just plain)?

-If they make up the ring from scratch how do we know the same diamonds we pick are the ones they use?

Hope someone can help!Any other info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
46,848 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagement rings!

The best place is where you get the best price and that will be up to you. There are 3 main places to go; the Gold and Diamond park which is near to the beach hotels, the gold souk which is in Deira and the Gold souk in Dubai Mall - go to whichever is nearest to you and haggle hard.

They will be genuine so ask for an international certificate.

No idea and no one else will be able to tell you either, you need to shop around, haggle and settle on a price you are happy with. Best advice is to see how much that would cost you at home and then you will know if you are getting a good or a great deal.

Again no idea, it depends on the weight so again find out what that would cost at home and haggle till you get a price you are happy with.

Their reputations rely on using the same diamonds that you pick, some stores will let you go and watch the stone being made into a ring if you want to but be aware before you do this that it isn't pretty and normally will consist of about 8 blokes in a small hot room who work 12 hours every day except Friday when they don't start work till 4pm. Labour is cheap in Dubai, that's why the prices are lower.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 13:40
Mentioned in this post
Gold And Diamond Park
Gold And Diamond Park
187 Reviews
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Gold Souk
Gold Souk
2,553 Reviews
The Dubai Mall
The Dubai Mall
23,241 Reviews
Dubai
Dubai
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Engagement rings!

Thank you very much.I will keep all that in mind!

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagement rings!

Any other advice anyone??

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagement rings!

Any other tips?

London, United...
Level Contributor
923 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagement rings!

We have just been through this process, my daughter got engaged while we were in Dubai.

We went to the Gold & Diamond park, there are lots of jewellers there to choose from, we went to one that we have been going to for years.

Be prepared to be there for a few hours my daughter knew what she wanted but we looked at lots of trays of rings and loose diamonds as it all depends on your budget.

In the end she decided on a loose diamond from Antwerp brilliant round cut diamond VS1 colour F on a Platinum ring that has 24 diamonds 1/2 carat so all in she now has a 1 1/2 carat Tiffany Novo design bespoke to her, her fiance was delighted he paid just over 3k and at Tiffany it is nearly 9k so everyone was happy, and this was made in 3 days, look around the G & D park and get an international certificate like we did, it has a photo of the ring and all the details of clarity, colour, cut & carat as well.

Good luck and remember to haggle for the best price.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagement rings!

Just a note that the Gold Souk in Dubai Mall will be closing for enhancements during September for approx. 3 months.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Souk
Gold Souk
2,553 Reviews
The Dubai Mall
The Dubai Mall
23,241 Reviews
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Engagement rings!

The Gold and diamond Park has a better choice of western style jewellery than the gold souk, you will have to haggle but the prices are considerably lower than Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Gold And Diamond Park
Gold And Diamond Park
187 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Engagement rings!

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Engagement rings!

Don't forget though that your duty free allowance on returning to the UK is something like £250 of goods....so you'll need to declare it on arrival in UK and pay the relevant duty and VAT (well unless he's buying you a ring for less than £250 lol)

Dublin
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Engagement rings!

I hope your takin the pish :D Either that or your the most honest man alive... I salute you sir