We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

East Sussex
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Hi, many thanks in advance for looking and your answers

Having looked around we are very tempted to book a 7-9 day break in the Atlantis in Dubai withour 2 kids ages 10 and 8 in August

It looks like there is loads to do simply at the hotel and my eldest is completely nuts about Architecture and wants with all his heart to see the Khalifa and the Al Arab

My concerns really centre around Ramadam,

When we are going the temperature can be horrific and to me it is vital that my kids remain well hydrated.

I understand this is not an issue at all whilst at the hotel but what about if we are out and about sight seeing?

I understand we cannot buy a bottle of water and drink it as we walk about but will there be places we can go? cafes etc to sit down and top them off inbetween times?

Will all the usual kids tourist attractions be open and also selling food and drink during the month as well?

Sorry to ask what may be such an ignorant question but I really don't want to cause offence.

Also are there any visa requirements? have looked about and cant see any at the moment

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

You get your passports stamped with a visa when you land,

have a read of this ..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k30…

hope it helps :-)

East Sussex
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

many thanks, yes I did read that, infact thats what prompted the question , does 'public places' include all the tourist attractions as well. can you not rehydrate anywhere outside of your hotel?

If it looks like we are going to be locked to the hotel for the entire trip then we will probably go elsewhere, as the kids are young they are really only active during daylight hours and we would s love to explore , but I am genuinely concerned about the issue as my kid has a renal problem that requires him to be well hydrated

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Children of 10 and 8 years old are not required to fast so it will be fine for them to drink water when you are out and about. Also, anybody with a medical condition which makes fasting injurious to their health is exempt so you son is also covered by that.

The malls have curtained off areas with cafes open during fasting hours so you will be able to eat and drink there. Burj Khalifa is entered via Dubai mall so you'll find somewhere there to eat/drink.

For you and your husband, you can easily carry small bottles of water and just pop into a toilet wherever you are to have a drink.

I imagine you'll be travelling around by taxi at least some of the time so it's worth bearing in mind that your driver is also quite likely to be fasting so it's considerate not to drink or eat in the cab.

Assuming you all hold UK passports you'll get a visa stamped in your passport on arrival, it's free and you won't even notice, just go to the normal immigration queue.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Brilliant!! many thanks - is it likley that waterparks / theme parks/ other tourist attraction areas will also have curtained off areas to allow consumption of food/fluids as well

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

The waterparks are both part of resort hotels in Dubai, so you won't have any issue there - you probably wouldn't even know it's ramadan.

Whilst it may seem alien time when you are looking from the UK, when you are there you will realise what a special time it is and most likely want to be respectful to the people fasting.

East Sussex
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Absolutely agree and if it was just me and my wife there would be no hesitation, but the kids need to eat during the day and obviously keep te hydration up.

I actually rather like the idea of going during and austere and reflective time, makes stark contrast to people being intoxicated by midday on the med.

The whole point of traveling to me is to broaden your horizons and see a little of other cultures, so really what better time to vist?

I really only asked the questions as I really didn't want to offend anyone, but equally given the heat of August make sure we could all take on some water.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Agree with Swiss you probably will not even notice it is Ramadam in the hotels and water parks- wild wadi I can vouch for.

Was there at JBH last year and will be there again in Aug. The only difference we noticed was no alcohol at lunch time. We did not go out until after sundown so everything appeared normal to us anyway.

Wild Wadi cafe opened for fast food and soft drinks- as always.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 12:53
East Sussex
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Thank you so much for your excellent answers, I guess take a bottle of water and nip into the loos fro a suruptitious swig will be fine to tide them over or nip into a screened off cafe

You are all most helpful much appreciated

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,967 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

I would just add that I think you should look at Jumeirah Beach Hotel too. This also has a water park but more importantly is on the mainland, whereas Atlantis is a little isolated out at the end of the Palm.

Also Atlantis charges for kids to go in the kids club, whereas JBH do not - this is handy to get them out of the sun for a few hours.

You are much closer to everything at JBH and last year during Ramadan Jumeirah Beach hotel kept up its poolside and beach drinks and snacks service, whereas Atlantis didn;t.

hartlepool uk
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering a few days in August - urgent questions please

Just to add my tuppence about JBH. Wonderful family hotel close to everything. Wild Wadi just a walk through the gardens to private entrance for Jumeriah guests.

We had a look around Zabeel saray on Palm and although a wonderful, magnificent hotel the views across on to the mainlnad were not as impressive as Madinet/ JBH.

My grandchildren loved JBH because of its postion and childrens facilities, when they were younger. My oldest (22) is presently at JBH with his girlfriend to show her JBH/ Madinet. / Wild Wadi