We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Dubai

Hi,

we are planning our first trip to Dubai for next March. I know nothing about Dubai at all, so am hoping the Tripadvisor faithful can help. My wife is deadset on staying at the Atlantis. A few questions:

- is it easy to get a cab from the airport to the Atlantis?

- my wife is vegetarian, so is fine with Chinese, Mexican, Italian food. Are there many choices in Dubai? Do the shopping malls also have restaurants in them?

- my wife loves to shop! Where are the best places to go? And are the prices reasonable compared to the UK?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Dubai

Atlantis is one of the biggest resorts in Dubai, every taxi driver lined up outside the airport will know it. Very easy.

There is every type of cuisine for every budget in Dubai. From high end dining to chain restaurants it's here. You could eat at different restaurant for lunch and dinner each day ad still be there for a year.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
39,816 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Dubai

If your wife likes her hotels busy, frenetic and expensive then she'll be in for a treat. Atlantis gets mixed reveiws because of two main reasons

1. It is isolated at the end of the Palm Island so not close to anything else; therefore drinks and food are at a premium and you have to get a cab to see anything else at all, including the huge shopping malls.

2. It gets very busy with tourists and look-sees

For first time visitors it will probably blow you away because you haven't experienced anywhere else in Dubai - those that have been after staying elsewhere in the City usually jusy go once.

Personally I wouldn't stay there if they paid me to I prefer to be on the mainland within easy reach of malls and alternative places to eat out but each to their own I guess.

As Swiss says official taxis are easy to find, very cheap in comparison to the UK and metered so you also know the price at any point and there is no need to haggle or bargin over the fare.

And again As Swiss says there is so much choice for style and price to eat out that you could drive yourself mad choosing where to go in a 7/14 day holiday.

The malls have everything from McDonalds to high end fine dining and everything, even the food court, is clean and super efficient in comparison to home.

Here is a video that you might enjoy about what's available at Dubai Mall in a specific area known as Downtown - there are another 5 malls just like this one, albeit a bit smaller because this is the biggest one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0OQnzmVV7s

Hopefully that will give you an idea of what to expect. To get here from Atlantis will take around 30 minutes by cab

The prices for most things are roughly similar to the UK, some things will be cheaper like gold, jewellery, watches, rugs, linen etc and some things will be more expensive and of course it depends on the exchange rate which isn't so good for the £ just now.

There's Harvey Nichols, Saks 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, Galleries Lafayette, Debenhams, Marks and Specer, Ikea, Zara, Next, Warehouse, Oasis, Nine West, Dune and then all the designer stores and much, much more. The malls are open till 10pm during the week and midnight at the weekend so a fantastic place to sunbathe all day and shop all night.

So have fun planning and take a look at some other hotels too - plenty to choose from on either the becah or in the city

London
Level Contributor
130 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Dubai

Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
2 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Dubai

Hi.

Depending on your budget stay at the Address or directly in one of the hotels in Burj Kalifa. I sure your wife will be impressed + the Dubai mall is right there. Literally :-). There are 1200 shops there so your wife can spend there a week and you will have time to enjoy more interesting things.

Atlantis is good for oneday visit. As a waterpark the wild wadi is far better anyway.

5. Re: First trip to Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 00:18