We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Modesto
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Hi All!

I'm staying overnight at the Airport Hotel in Terminal 3 this weekend. (It's a 13-hour layover, coming in on Emirates on a Saturday evening, leaving on a Sunday morning).

According to the hotel website, I am indeed definitely allowed to leave the terminal (for dinner) and return later that night to head to the hotel and sleep (because I can check in for my flight anytime w/in 24 hours).

But when I double-checked with the hotel front desk, they said, "Welllll...... yeah .... technically you can leave the terminal but it's a hassle." Grrrr.

So: Does anyone know how much of a hassle it really is to get the short-term visa and leave the airport?

Or: Should I hire this Marhaba service to meet me and take me to the hotel and then hustle me thru the visa/immigration process? I tried to ask Marhaba if they'd do this, but they just replied with boilerplate FAQ answer from their website that didn't address my specific question (it's not either standard meet-and-greet OR standard "layover" Marhaba service).

Thanks so very much for any advice!

Edited: 16 June 2011, 03:56
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

It all depends on what passport you hold. If your country is part of the visa on arrivial scheme then it's very easy to leave, just go to immigration and get your passport stamped, and I would suggest you terminate your reservation with the internal hotel and get one of the land side airport hotels to save money.

If you require a visa before arrival then a hotel can organise this for you, once you have the visa it's again very simple. The airport hotel don't want you to think you can leave as they are very pricey.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,704 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

I agree with Swiss - if you have a US passport it is no hassle at all and I wouldn't stay in the airport hotel, not only is it vastly overpriced you'll miss out on seeing some of Dubai.

There is no need to use the Mrahaba service as leaving the airport is so quick and easy but if you would be more comfortable then go ahead.

Modesto
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Thanks so much for your awesome help!

Yes, it's a U.S. passport.

I'd love to stay outside the airport -- 100 percent! -- but the next-morning flight leaves at 8 a.m., and we'd have to get up before 5 a.m. if we stayed at an outside airport, wouldn't we? To be able to check in three hours before the international flight? (which would be necessary if we hadn't stayed in the airport and checked in the night before)?

We decided to stay at the airport so that we could sleep later. We really need to get some sleep the night, to deal w/the jet-lag, because we have important things to do once we reach our destination. (And that's why we're so concerned that we can leave the airport that night, so we can at least see SOMETHING!)

Thanks again!

Edited: 16 June 2011, 12:33
Modesto
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

PS: we wanted to stay at the Orient Guest House, in Bastakiya, to see a bit more of the city ... but decided that we needed to sleep later than 5 a.m., so ... opinions? Thanks very much!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,704 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

OK

A few questions so we can help more.

What time does your flight arrive ?

Is your connecting flight with the same airline or a different airline ?

This will help to answer your questions regarding check in times for the flights

Orient Guest house is very lovely and really quaint. It's in a lovely area of the old part of town BUT it's really small and may not be set up to cater for folks who are arriving late and checking out early.

Did you pick it because of budget or because of where it is ?

Modesto
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Picked Orient Guest House because of where it is. We thought if we were only in town one night, we'd want to see something we couldn't see elsewhere (not a generic chain).

We are arriving at 7:45 pm on Saturday, and leaving on Sunday morning at 8:15 or so. It's both Emirates flights. We're both U.S. citizens.

The thing that made us decide to stay in the airport hotel -- despite cost., etc -- was the idea that we could leave the terminall, look around (having dinner), then come back and sleep until 7 am (not 4:30 am).

THANKS SO MUCH FOR BEING SO AMAZINGLY HELPFUL!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,704 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Then it's real easy.

You will collect your boarding pass for BOTH flights when you check in for your first flight in the US so there will be no need to recheck in at Dubai.

You will also not see your checked in luggage until you arrive at your final destination so pack stuff in your hand luggage to cater for your night outside the airport and a change of clothes.

You will need to be at the airport around 80-90 minutes before your flight leaves and will not need to check in just take you and your hand luggage straight to security with your already printed boarding pass.

That means that you could stay anywhere that is within a 15-20 minute cab ride of the airport

You may want to check out this other post from today - whilst the title is different and the lady's requirements are specific she is doing the same thing as you are

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k45…

Moving on to where to stay, as I said the Orient Guest House is lovely and if you had a wee bit more time I would highly recommend it, however, it is not on a main road and you would have to get to the main road first before hailing a cab.

If you want to stay in the same area of the city then the Orient Guest House has a sister property - The Arabian Courtyard, which is about 250 yards from Bastakiah and right oposite Dubai Museum. It is a great 4* and is more individual than a chain, however, it does have the advantage of being on a main road and with bell hops that can hail you a cab.

This area of the city will be bustling on a Saturday night and the souks are open till 10pm. You can stay on the same side of the creek to see the textile souk or jump on a abra across the creek to the other side to see the gold and spice souks and will really see the best parts of old Dubai in this area.

Here's a couple of maps

The Arabian Courtyard is oposite point 1 on the first map and you can see Bastakiah, where the Orient Guest house is on the same map

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

And this is a map of the other side of the creek

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

An abra ride to cross the creek from one side to the other costs 1 dirham (27 cents) per person.

To get from Arabian Courtyard to the airport at that time on a Sunday morning will take around 20 mins so leaving the hotel at 6.30am will be fine.

Alternatively, you could stay in the same area that is described in the attached post and then get to see some of newer Dubai and the fountains.

Have a great trip

Modesto
Level Contributor
42 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

Wow, amazing information! I just love it!

I can't thank you enough..... thanks for taking the time: invaluable help!!!

9. Re: Dubai Airport Hotel, Terminal 3: Leaving the building??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 11:17