We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

we are due to go to the habtoor at the end of july, and all we are hearing is nightmare stories, its our silver anniversary and we are treating our 2 daughters to a one-off holiday, before they will want to do their own thing. the last thing we want is for it to be a disaster, but with all the negartive reviews, we cant help thinking it might be just that. i was also told that the bars and club in the hotel are full of russian prositutes! surely not in a supposedly 5 star hotel, well at least not for everybody to see whats going on anyway! can anyone shed a bit of light on exactly whats its like? thanks.

Level Contributor
6,927 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

im sure it wil be lovely, dont worry. and in refelction of 1-5 on TA recommendations they are not giving it the correct stars, but that does not mean TA is right ive found they are often wrong as most is about madiant or lrm for dubai hotels both not grand . Expedia ownes this end and change it to suit there sales withs star rating.,

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

It's better than most 5* hotels in Europe by a long shot, whilst not the most spectacular hotel in terms of service or design if you follow the Dubai benchmark. The bar is set very high here, hence why you get people disliking beautiful resorts such as Atlantis.

It's a hotel of a good standard on a beautiful beach ... What else could you need?!

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

thanks for that, this isnt our first time to dubai, we stayed in the mina seyahi in 2009 and it was the best holiday we have had. the standards are extremely high there, so i am very surprised to find a hotel that doesnt make the mark.

thanks again,

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

Hi my daughters are 18 and 16 we are staying at the LRM next door to Habtoor before i came on TA i was going to book the Atlantis or Jebi Ali resort im glad i didnt as the LRM much better position for getting to things and has the marina and the walk on doorstep ,the Habtoor looks like it has some nice bars and the pool looks good we may check it out as only next door we have never been to dubai before so looking forward to it.

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

hi, thanks for replying, if you do get the chance to check it out i,d be grateful, its got very mixed views but ive paid my deposit now, so maybe its too late to do anything about it. what is the food and facilitys like at the LRM?

heres a tip for you, do the desert safari as a trip, absolutely fantastic, if you havnt all ready done it of course!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

HI there,

We stayed in the Habtoor last october for 2 weeks I put what I believe to be a very balance hotel review on the forum on my return. I would agree it is probably on par with 5* europe but would not agree it is 5* dubai probably 4*

Location is good however I would not return to the hotel if there were other ones of similar price in the close vicinity ie: LRM, Westin etc however if I was offered a very cheap deal would return (but would have to be a steal!). We are travelling to dubai again with our daughter in July and at the time of booking could have got the Habtoor or Westin for a reasonable price as the Jumeriah on the Palm and we decided to choose Jumeriah as it was somewhere we hadn't stayed however would have chosen the Westin before Habtoor.

Definately make sure you have booked a tower room and make sure it does not face the horizon pool bar if you want sleep at night. Food is of a good standard with reasonable choice. The hotel was full of Russians who need some lessons in basic manners when we were there and we did not see prostitutes however I am led to believe the this is frequent haunt for them.

We enjoyed the pool area and was quite lively good swim up bar and bar staff attentive. You don't get the usual cool towel rounds and slushy rounds etc. Beach is lovely and plenty to see.

yes desert safari a must even it the hottest month. feel free to PM me if you have any queries

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

hi,

Thanks for that, luckily, we have upgraded to a tower room, with half board, but dont know whether it faces the horizon bar or not yet, ive expressed concerns to the tour operator about this hotel, with a view to possibly changing to a different hotel. If i cant, and i stand to lose my deposit i,ll have to grin and bear it, but honest reviews like yours gives us an idea of what to expect if we do go there. You are absolutely right about the russian guests, they are the rudest people i have had the displeasure of being in contact with. unfortunately they are in the best hotels all over the world these days, and we stayed at the ritz carlton in egypt 2 years ago, a high class hotel, where they were getting drunk on vodka and physically fist fighting with eachother!

thanks again

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,889 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

There are prostitutes in lots of bars but I've never noticed any in the Underground sport bar in the Habtoor - but then maybe I'm just not being observant!

horsham
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

Hi,

We stayed at the Habtoor Grand December 2009, we like you were very nervous about staying having read some reviews but we had a great 3 days, we had a family tower room, which was spacious well appointed and we had no noise disturbance, we arrived at 8.30 int the morning and we were in our room by 10am thanks to very helpful reception staff. The beach and gardens are lovely and well maintained, plenty of sunbeds on the beach. The pool area was in need of refurbishment but much better than pools you find in the med etc. Service at the pool bar was a little slow but your on holiday.

The location is fab with the jb walk area, there are plenty of places to eat

Overall we really enjoyed our stay and for that right price we would definitely return.

Rob

Bridgend, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is the habtoor grand as bad as everyones says it is?

thanks for replying,

you are right, there are 'bar girls' working in all major hotels all over the world of course, not only in dubai, we stayed at the mina seyahi 2 years ago and the barasti, which is a very popular place for locals, as well as holiday makers, had girls there too, just not good when your with your family, although they never bothered us of course!