We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Hi guys...

This is my first time to Dubai with my wife and my parents. We are staying at the Bonnington Lake Towers hotel near JLT Metro.

Really wanted to know what are the main sites/things we should do during our 7 day stay.

What i nearby to JLT? We don't have a beach at the hotel, so can we go to any of the beaches in Dubai? Are they all public?

Also we like our food! (who doesn't!!!)....

I would love to hear your recommendations for Indian, Italian pasta/pizza, Lebanese etc.

Sorry...lots of questions but all replies will be gratefully received! : )

Thanks guys!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

When are you visiting? And without being 'ageist' what are your ages and what type of activities would you wish to participate in - dune bashing, shopping? Or would you rather experience more cultural things such as museums etc? Do you enjoy alcohol when you enjoy your food? If so you'll be stuck with hotel-based restaurants where alcoholic drinks are generally expensive. Make the most of your duty free allowance when you arrive and buy mixers in the supermarkets so you can enjoy pre-dinner drinks (any time of day drinks!) in your room/on your balcony.

Others will add more comments ...

As for beaches, no, they're not all public. Most are private hotel beach clubs. Your nearest is the public beach next to the Jumeirah Hilton but there are no facilities there (no unbrellas, towels, sun loungers, WCs etc).

Did you look at the TOP Questions about Dubai on the right?

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Thanks for getting back.

We are in our 30s and our parents are 50s! So that gives you the range! lol

Yes we like a drink with our meals, food, walks, historic sites, beach, sea, etc! So pretty much open to everything.

We are visiting in 2 weeks! So hoping that is a nice time to visit. Seems so on the charts.

I understand the new metro system is working near Bonnington Lake Towers?

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Oh and what is the duty free allowance for drinks out of interest? cheers : )

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,521 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Jumeirah Beach Walk is a short taxi ride away - over 1 mile of shops, cafes and restaurants - only a few are licensed though.

IBN Battuta mall - short cab ride away. Lovely architecture, lots of shops and nice places to eat. Not licensed though.

Mall of the Emirates - where you can go skiing if you want. 10 minutes by cab, lots of nice places to eat, some of which are licensed.

Dubai Mall - this area is known as downtown (although it isn't really downtown and is brand new). Souk al Bahar, Burj Khalifa and the evening fountain show. Over 100 restaurants, many of which (in Souk al Bahar) are licensed - in the mall they will be unlicensed.

The creekside and the souks - about 35 miutes by cab. Great to wander around and explore for the day. Here are two maps

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Take a cab to point 1 on the first map where the museum is and then take your pick of the things you want to see. Plenty of lovely palces for lunch in this area. You can catch an abra across the creek for 1 dirham per person to visit the gold and spice souks on the other side

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

There are so many restaurants to choose from that it is really difficult to recommend any. You will find all of the cusine styles you mention in all of the places I have mentioned - so you maybe best just seeing what you fancy on the day.

The duty free allowance is 4 bottles of anything per person or 4 boxes of beer or a mixture - so 2 bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and a box of beer per person if you want but perhaps that's quite a lot for 4 of you.

A desert safari one evening, afternoon tea at Burj al Arab hotel, a ride on an abra across the creek, a trip up Burj Khalifa and watching the evening fountain show at Dubai Mall would be on my list of things a first time visitor should try and do.

Can I suggest that you take a look at the Things to do in Dubai section of the top questions, the city guide and also the section on Dubai Marina and Jumeirah Beach Walk.

And also take a look at the section on the Entertainer voucher book to see if it will be worth it for you to purchase a copy of that from any supermarket.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,908 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Why don't you read the forum? and 'Top Questions about Dubai' on the right side of this screen? Believe it or not these questions have been asked before and you'll find lots of useful info here.

UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

If you book online for Burj Khalifa through their website you can get a pretty hefty discount (I think it was something like 75%, so they can stop queues building up on the day).

Wow - this makes me think we didn't really do much in Dubai (especially since we did the Big Bus Tour, which gave us some vouchers). We did want to see the odd museum or two but didn't really get the time or opportunity.

avicov
Level Contributor
356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Wow, thanks for the replies so far. Really building up an itinerary now.

Are there any recommendations for eating near Bonnington or Dubai marina area?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

Friends have an apartment just beside where you are staying and the area really coming together. Lakes just been filled new spines etc I

Opened and yes close to metro

9. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2011, 13:28
10. Re: 1st time to Dubai and Food! : )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 14:16