We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

I have a couple of questions regarding relocating to Dubai:

We are going for 18 months to 2 years very shortly.

a) Should we rent furnished or unfurnished or does that choice exist.

b) If unfurnished, where is the best all round store for buying furniture, household things – preferably not hughely expensive as our budget is only €2,500/€3,000 to include everything.

c) What do people do with their furniture when they eventually leave Dubai. Is there a way of selling same, or disposing of same?

d) Does anyone have any useful links to help us in setting up in Dubai. Also we hope to stay close to the Marina, within 5/10 minute walk to same. Any hints and tips about best place to start searching for apartments, (or indeed the pitfalls) and the possible cost of same, We hope to have a 2 bed apartment – We believe it will cost approx €1900 a month, would this be close to the average price ?

Sorry for the questions, but someone out there will be able to answer some to these questions for us hopefully.

Tweetie57 on behalf of family member!

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
808 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

Also, post on the ex pats site. You might get more answers there.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

Thank you happyholidayer30

of course,I should have thought ot that website too. It all helps!

Tweetie57

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

a) It's very hard to find furnished apartments, but they are out there.

b) IKEA, Index Living, Home Centre, any of these places really.

c) Most people put an advert on http://www.Dubizzle.com so there's always a huge selection of second hand furniture, mostly in good condition for good prices. That's where I'd go first.

d) A 2 bedroom apartment in the Marina can be anything from AED 80,000/year to AED 165,000/year depending on size and view so you should be able to get a nice place within your budget.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way of finding one other than trawling adverts on Dubizzle or putting your life in the hands of crooked real estate agents who also charge commission if you rent a place through them. It's a very frustrating process.

Some websites to get you started, but you'll probably find that most of the properties don't exist and are just designed to entice you in so that the real estate company can show you around several other properties they have on their books.

http://www.propertyfinder.ae/

http://www.bhomes.com/

http://www.cluttons.com/dubai/index.cfm

http://www.smithandken.com/

http://www.hamptons.ae

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

SlimVW - Thank you so much for your quick response, thats exactly the sort of reply I was hoping to get. I will pass same on and it looks like a bit of searching can be done on the internet. I always trust TA's judgment on these things - Brilliant!

Tweetie57

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

You could also look on these sites:

ExpatWoman - generally very full of gossip and talk about maids but occasionally comes up with some helpful information:

www.expatwoman.com/forum/topics.aspx…

Another is BritishExpat forum - two parts to the site: one is more specific and the other (Sand Pit) is more a chat forum. The former can be somewhat brusque or unforgiving but in general they give genuine advice:

britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=60

NEWCASTLE
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

Best to rent a furnished place, saves the hassle of selling when leaving.

Rent a furnished place for a month at the Marina from MyDubaiStay.com.

1 Beds are about 60 quid per night, do a deal for longer term, you should be able to get 2 beds on long term for your 1900 quid.

Then look in Gulf News classifieds for cheaper rental - hundreds avavilable.

Look online at Gulfnews.com , classifieds, Dubai rental .

Plenty choice , fill your boots.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

thank you to all who have posted a reply - you have given me good sound advice and have certainly steered me in the right direction with websites etc. The time and efffort in replying to my post is much appreciated :) Tweetie57

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

@slimv marina costs more than that mate, my friend is paying 191,000 AED per year and that's quite a cheap one

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

For a 2 bedroom?

I doubt it, or he's being ripped off.

My 2 bedroom is massive (over 3000 square feet with study, maid's room, 4 bathrooms, huge balcony) and my renewal quote was 165k and I'm moving out because that's still far too expensive. Plenty of fairly roomy 2 bedroom apartments available for 80k in good buildings.

I'm just about to move into a 5 bedroom villa in Jumeira near the beach with private pool for 220k for comparison.

Edited: 28 October 2010, 15:23
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: relocating to Dubai for 2 years - a few questions on apts.

I agree with Slim, maybe he's being ripped off and didnt re-negotiate the rent - 2 years ago 191,000 in marina would have been a reasonable deal - these days Slims figure range is correct for 1500 to 3000 sq ft apartments, I've seen 1 beds as low as 60k.

For 160k/yr (thats around £2300 a month) today you can get a Palm Jumeira Shoreline 2500/3000 sq ft 3 bed apartment.