We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai is far to expensive

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai is far to expensive

I hear often that Dubai is an electronics haven. I am not a shopping bargain guru, but I found similar or cheaper prices for apple products on the internet. I even ended up in getting a cheaper discounts in Germany, then in Dubai. London is also cheaper in many ways if you look a bit. My conclusion is that Dubai is worth the visit, the giant malls are too, but just don't expect to find better prices then back in England or Germand. Even during a weekend to Paris, I found better bargains last month.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

You are 100% correct for most Western and Far Eastern Items...

For Gold and Diamonds, Dubai is a very good option and quite reasonable.

For Arabic and Middle Eastern items - like perfumes, handicraft, bakhoors, pashimas, rugs, carpets, abayas etc - Dubai is one of the cheapest (Bahrain and KSA are cheaper).

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

Depends on the exchange rate, 4 or 5 years ago I bought a camera £100 cheaper than here in the UK.

I could also have saved over £1000 on a high end Denon amplifier and £400 on a Denon DVD player

Scotland
Level Contributor
284 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

As the aed is pegged to the dollar ,there is no surprise things are more expensive now . Around 3 years ago the best rate i found was 2.07usd /£ , now it's around 1.55/£

Now, you do the maths Sherlock

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

So Dubai is far to expensive ...... for electronics... (and booze)

The electronics sections in the Hypermarkets have special offers that (just) beat the UK. But the electronics shops are as you say.

But you have think about the rent levels that are required to pay for that fountain display or subsidize the snow slope which make Dubai shopping a visitor experience.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

Surely you're going to Dubai to explore this amazing city, not to buy random electronics that you could buy anywhere

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
41,447 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

I'm not sure who would describe it as an electronics heaven and if you had asked on here beforehand people would have told you that it wasn't

Items can be easily purchased from the UK on the internet for much better prices than in Dubai (especially since the £ fell against the dirham)

Perhaps if you had asked before you left you could have saved the hassle.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
952 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

I recently bought a set of headphones that were full price in the Bose shop in Dubai Mall. They were cheaper than anywhere in the UK, including Amazon.co.uk. Having said that, it's a bit pointless coming to Dubai for the purpose of buying cheap electronics.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
766 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

The only people who find Dubai an electronics haven are loaded tourists from Central Asian, African, and CIS Countries, who can buy electronics without hefty taxes.

Electronics, and branded clothing stores are very expensive here. A levis jeans that I bought in the US for 40$ is on "sale" at 300 Dhs a year later in the UAE. The normal price is 500 dhs i.e. ~ 140$

9. Re: Dubai is far to expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 07:16