We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dubai too expensive for me?

Swansea
Level Contributor
359 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Is Dubai too expensive for me?

I am beginning to panic a bit. Booked for Sept with my husband and 2 teenagers. we do not drink , staying at the Golden Sands, will I only be able to afford mc Donalds every day? Anywhere close to the appartments where we can eat which is not expensive please? Any info appreciated.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

The super markets are amazing so you could do most of your own cooking then you can budget what you spend on meals,

also i know its a holiday & i wouldn't want to spend my time cooking, so try the malls most will have food courts in them & they are not expensive,

i dont know the location of the golden sands or what the distance would be but theres a little cafe out the back of the gold souk called Ashwaq cafe its set on a corner & do these great little kebab type wraps in chicken or lamb they are lovely & very cheap also their fresh fruit juices are delicious & refreshing :-)

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

Most certainly not, Dubai is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be, especially for food. You can eat like a King for about a £10 per person and seeing as you dont drink alcohol you'll have loads of choice.

What type of food do you like???

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

Don't panic there are loads of really good places to eat near Golden Sands that won't cost the earth.

Golden Sands is in an area called Bur Dubai so take a look at this post

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g295424-i872-k25…

Spinneys supermarket is just like Tesco so you'll be able to get anything you want from there for your apartment.

People think Dubai is an expensive place to eat out in because they stick to 5* hotels and don't venture out.

Swansea
Level Contributor
359 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

Thank you everyone, I feel so much better now. we like plain food really, the kids like pizza, indian and just fast food. I was a bit worried but you have put me at ease. What a great site this is! many thanks again!

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,737 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

You'll be spoilt for choice for Indain/Pakistani food at give away prices in Dubai. There is literally a restaurant on every street corner.

Try Ravi's for good Indian/Pakistani food. Pa's for great Iranian food.

Dubai U.A.E
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

I used to live at one of the GS many moons ago. In those days on a tight budget (rather like now-full circle!) Try the Lebenese village next door to the Ramada hotel. A tenner a head for a really good grill with soft drinks. Don't forget the Shawarma (sandwich) sidewalk places in Bur Dubai. Another place is the Al Ain centre, close to Spinneys supermarket. It's a computer store on two floors but there are some good eateries on the ground floor. There are many restaurants in the area where the Asians and European expats eat, you are spoilt for choice. Decent fodder for four can easily be had for as little as £25 all in. Steer clear of the fresh juices, they're expensive but local bottled water (Masafi) is 1-2 Dhms per bottle. There are plenty of fast food outlets in the area. For an early evening treat (children before 2100hrs or preferabsly earlier) try the Old Vic in the Ramada hotel. Good pub grub and if no alcohol, quite cheap. TV's showing major sporting events....and the list goes on. Bur Dubai ais a good spot with lots of variety-enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
155 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

hi,

sorry to hijack, are there any cheap resturants (indian or middle eastern) that anyone can reccommend near the 4 points sheikh zayed rd?

thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

Lots around Karama and Bur Dubai as the link above says.

This area is about 15-20 minutes by cab from where you will be so about 25 dirham to get to

9. Re: Is Dubai too expensive for me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 07:17