We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Lancashire
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
A question about Bahrain - sorry!

I am posting on here simply due to the high volume of visitors who may be able to help - apologies.

We are travelling to Bahrain and would like to take Solpadeine, Immodium, and Gaviscon, due to previous problems when we travelled here last year. I know in Dubai Solpadeine is illegal because of the codeine and was wondering if someone could advise me if similar limitations exist in Bahrain.

Many thanks

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
9,150 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Yes codine is under the same rules in Bahrain as it is in the UAE. It's a definite no no unless you have a prescription.

Immodium is freely available in Dubai, as is Gaviscon or a similar product which probably has a different name. Think it might be called Zantac??

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Yes similar limitations, however, Bahrain is much more relaxed in the customs area and people very very rarely get stopped or searched.

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Thanks so much for both your posts, we went last year and found it very difficult to buy items around where we were staying. However, I have been to the chemist and bought allowed medication including soluable paracetamol, lets just hope it works!

Thanks again!

Dubai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

I am surprised you found it difficult in Bahrain - its such a small and cute place you can get from anywhere to anywhere in record time :)

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

I know what you mean but we arrived at the RC hotel Fri pm, spent all day sat at the race circuit, which is where 2 members of our group became VERY ill and were seen by the medics on site before being taken to hospital for severe heat stroke/dehydration, after 6 hours, despite drinking plenty of water, so it made things a little fraught to say the least! Thankfully everyone was OK though.

Just 2 more questions, is gaviscon banned? And, one member seemed to think that the bottled water at the circuit (local brand, sealed bottles) made him feel ill, and has sworn will only take Evain from the hotel, is there any justification for this or is it purely psycological?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Have never had any problems with the local water, most people drink that. However, if it puts their mind to rest just go along with it.

Dubai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

Agree with James, the water in Bahrain (and most of Gulf) is clean and safe to drink. Most people choose to drink bottled water because the tap water has a slight mineral/chalk taste due to the fact that the water is desalinated.

The bottled water is sweet, safe and cheap - never known anyone to ever had a problem. Must have been the heat and exertion?

8. Re: A question about Bahrain - sorry!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 00:16