We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

i have a layover of 4 hours in dubai (brussels dubai jakarta), 00:15 to 04:20 AM

i would like to go to the center just to walk in the street during an hour. is it possible ?

i don't want to stay in the airport and shop, eat or sleep there. i find airports boring even the better ones. even if everything is closed or 'dark' in the city center and the burj khalifa tower is closed.

40 min from the aircraft to a taxi,

40 min to arrive in the center,

60 min visit/walk,

40 min taxi to the airport,

60 min security checks... to the plane.

is the taxi faster than the metro ?

is it faisable ?

28 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

I would like to point out that 4 hours is a very short layover to exit the airport.

At that time of the day, Dubai airport is very busy. If you are lucky you might be outside by 45 min. There metro does not operate after midnight so you need to take a taxi from the rank. Pick the cream colored ones which are metered. You need about 20 minutes to reach Dubai mall area (Downtown). This gives you around 1 hour to spend in that area although many places will be closed when you reach there except for some bar/clubs that remain open till around 3am. The boulevard is nicely lit at night. keep in mind that you need to arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes before your flight and not 60 minutes as you mentioned.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

Agree 4 hours is really tight and not worth going in and out

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
43,969 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

You do not have enough time to leave the airport and are really underestimated how long it will take to get out and the time you need to be back.

You cannot exit the airport without a visa and even if you get a visa on arrival it will take 1 hour to get out and you have to be back at least 2 hours before your onward flight or you will miss it.

Dubai airport is now the busiest airport in the world and 4 hours is just not enough time to do anything outside the airport

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

First up - do you have a passport that entitles you to a visa on arrival? If not, your query would be a non-starter.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

thanks

i have a european belgian passport : 'your passport will be stamped with a multiple entry 90-days visit visa'

and i fly with emirates :

'If you are travelling to or stopping over in Dubai with Emirates, you can submit an application and receive your UAE visa entirely online – without having to submit your passport for stamping.'

I could take it online.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
7,397 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

Fair enough. Still - about an hour to exit, and 2 hours for reporting for the connection. You would just have a good one hour to step out. Only you can decide if that would be worthwhile, keeping in mind that airlines do not take responsibility should you miss your connection. Good luck.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

Just clarify for others reading, with a Belgian passport you get visa free of charge upon arrival and no need to apply online.

Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

Thank you for these precious information.

50 min from aircraft to taxi

30 min airport to center

120 min, 2 hours walk in the center

30 min center to airport

90 from taxi to aircraft

is it more reasonable ?

How is the traffic at that time for the taxi ?

do I save time with online visa request ?

Thank you

Kind regards,

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

I am a very frequent traveler and I never leave airports with a layover shorter than six hours. It doesn't matter how close the airport is to the city centre. There have been times when I had a 3-4 hour layover and I did leave the terminal but only to hang around the outside of the building for a hour or so for fresh air, but I never left the premise altogether.

You do not have enough time no matter how much you try to justify it. I would absolutely not risk it. In theory you might have up to 90 minutes free but there are so many what-ifs scenarios. What if the taxi is stuck in traffic due to an accident? What if you can't find a taxi quickly? What if there is a problem in security screening and passport control and it's taking far longer - at the busiest time of the night - to go through immigration or to get back into the terminal? I've seen too many things happen in the past to ever risk it.

The terminal is massive and you can get plenty of exercise walking around it.

Kent. United Kingdom
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?

50 min from aircraft to taxi

30 min airport to center

120 min, 2 hours walk in the center

30 min center to airport

90 from taxi to aircraft

I might be wrong, but this is over 5 hours, not the 4 hours you said you have available

Reply to: 4 hours airport... visit center dubai ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted