We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

London
11 posts
Save Topic
Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

In a similar vein to another recent post, I'd ike to know how cheap/expensive a place Dubai is in terms of shopping, eating, sightseeing etc. My boyfriend and I are hoping to go this July, and were wondering if Dubai is considered a 'good value' or 'expensive' destination. We're from London so if anyone could tell me whether prices are roughly the same (I hope not!) or cheaper, just so we've got a rough guide, that'd be great.

ireland
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

its as cheap as u want it to be

food can be 40 euro for a nice meal,then u have the restaurants in the malls,10 euros a meal ur choice,shopping is no bargain except in bur dubai,go there for shoes,so so cheap and good

its cheaper than the uk

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,987 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

It can be the most expensive holiday you've ever had or you can eat as cheaply as you want.

Same for sightseeing. You can hire a helicopter or you can grab a ticket for the Big Bus tour and see the whole of Dubai for less than £40.

You can buy anything from designer to fakes. Shop in tourist places and pay tourist prices or go off the beaten tourist track and buy the same thing for much less.

You can buy as much gold and jewellery as you have places to put it or you can splash out on something you've fallen in love with that'll take you a year to pay off on the credit card safe in the knowledge that you could never afford the same thing at home.

You can pay £700 per night for a suite in the Burj and never spend less than £200 on a meal in a fab range of resturants or you can stay in an hotel that costs £60 per night and eat in the food courts at the Malls or the local restaurants and eat the best Arabic and Indian food you will ever taste. None of them will be licensed though.

You can buy 4 bottles of anything at ridiculously low prices in the Duty Free on the way into Dubai (just before you get your bags) and just stick to water or soft drinks when you're eating out. Or you can easily spend more on the drink than you do on the food if you order wine or spirits when eating in an hotel restaurant. Alcohol is definitely not cheaper in Dubai than in the UK and it is only served in hotel restaurants.

So to answer you question 'is Dubai expensive? Yes, if you want and no if you don't

harlow, uk
Level Contributor
415 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

no different to London........you can eat in the tops restuarants and pay ££££

or eat in a back street restuarant that will be nice but cheap

Glasgow
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

I totally agree with all of the above. My other half and I were really nervous about money when we booked to go last Sept as we'd heard some stories about Dubai being extremely expensive. We were really pleasantly surprised. We ate in some lovely restaurants and paid less than we did for a meal in a restaurant when we lived in London. And you always get a MASSIVE plate of food (I think I put on about half a stone in weight over the fortnight!) So it's definitely good value in this sense. We spent as little as £20 for dinner (usually two courses and drinks) and as much as £200+ (we ate at the Burj one night) A cheap way to experience the Burj is to book afternoon tea package - apparently you get loads to eat for a fraction of the cost!

We bought my engagement ring over there as well and managed to get a much more impressive rock than we would have been able to afford in the UK!!

Taxis are really cheap as well - though it does take a while to get from A to B in Dubai as the traffic is so bad and they don't have a Metro system as yet. You have to go everywhere by car. Oh, and be mindful of the fact that you really won't be able to walk anywhere during the day - and probably even in the evening - as it will be so hot and humid at that time of year (mid-late 40s C). We struggled to walk more than a couple of hundred yards in September!!

5. Re: Is Dubai expensive for tourists??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 06:20