We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Hi All

Taking a train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai sounds easy so we overnight Chiang Mai but getting to ChiangRai and getting a

Mekong river cruise to Luang Prabang via Pakbeng seems a little more hit or miss.Any advice please. The travel agent says they cant book the cruise as they have no arangements with them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
1. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Hi Sam,

We're doing a similar trip, but flying to Chaing Mai. From there, we're catching a VIP bus to Chaing Ria, and being picked up and transferred to Chaing Kong (on the boarder with Laos). We spend the night there before the boat trip down the Mekong. But you can catch a bus direct to Chaing Kong. You can take the public slow boat or book a private operator.

We decided to book with the Nagi of Mekong http://sites.google.com/site/nagiofmekong/

You can search using the field at the top to find more info, as well as the travelfish forum http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/laos

Hope this helps, enjoy!

-

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

We are proposing to do the same cruise but we plan to catch a train to Chiang Mai.Thats the easy bit.Did you book the Cruise direct and did you have them sort out transfers from Chiang Mai?I think I read that they do transfers from Chiang Kong?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
3. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Hi,

We contacted Adisak and he's arranged our pickup from Chaing Rai to Chaing Kong, and he will also pick us up from the hotel in Chaing Kong to cross the border to Houi Xai and then onto the boat. The night accomodation in Pak Beng is included in the tour. Contact details are:

adisak.star@gmail.com

We thought about doing the slow public boat, but I'm not so good in crowds and I've heard it gets a bit packed... When are you going?

- K

Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Sunday 7th August is when I would book the Cruise for. The public boats do seem a bit hit and miss and the speed boats would out as it is too close to the work I do(drive high speed cat with all the Australian safety regs). I have allowed n extra night prior to departure on cruise.

When are you going?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
237 reviews
5. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

We're going mid October...

From what I've read, you take your life into your own hands taking a fast boat.... There's a few options for places to stay in Chaing Kong - we're staying at Namkhong http://www.namkhongriverside.com/

You'll have to post about your trip when you get back...

- K

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Hi,

i see mekong river cruise website but I think it is so expansive (115 euro for 2 persons).

Do you konw pubblic boats that do same trip?

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
194 reviews
7. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

What do you mean by a "cruise?"

The bu to Chiang Rai from Chiang Mai takes 3 hours. From there, it's 2 hours by bus to the border town of Chang Khong. There is one direct bus from Chiang Mai at 8am as well which takes 5-6 hours.

From there, you cross the border and can book the slow boat to get to Luang Prabang for 200,000 kip. It took 6 hours the first day adn 7 hours the second day for us. It's not a "cruise" ship. It's a wide open boat with seats. You can Google "slow boat" for photos. You do an overnigth in Pakbeng,

Edited: 29 April 2011, 18:54
8. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 November 2013, 05:51
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,269 posts
194 reviews
9. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

Our slow boat experience was fine. Longest wait for a toilet was 2 mins.

10. Re: Chiang Rai toLuang Prabang by boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang