We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from LP back to Bangkok

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Route from LP back to Bangkok

Can anyone recommend the route I should take. I arrive into LP on the 21st of Nov and have to be back in Bangkok somehow by the 3rd or December. I don't mine booking a flight to Bangkok from wherever I am on the 3rd.

Should I head to Vientiane first then Vang Vieng or vice versa?

Anywhere else I should stop at along the way?

Thank you in advance.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
1. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

With almost 2 weeks, I would spend a few days in LP, then go NE a few hours to the M.Ngoi and M.Khiaw area.

After this head down to Vangvieng for 2 nights then down to Vientiane for your last few days. The get an overnight train to Bangkok from NongKhai 25km from Vientiane.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

I would spend a few days in Luang Prabang and then head to Phonsavan and see the Plain of Jars. Then to Vientiane for 3 days of\r so. I would fly to Bangkok. I dislike the overnight train and have never been able to sleep on it. You could fly Vientiane to Bkk or a cheaper option ins to head to Udon Thani, (Udon is worth a day or so if you would like to stay there), and fly from Udon to Bkk with a budget airline.

Luang Prabang, Laos
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
1 review
3. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

With only 11-12 days, I also would spend a couple days in Luang Prabang before heading up to Nong Khiaw (approx. 4 hours by van/bus) and onward by a scenic one hour boat trip up the Nam Ou to Moung Ngoi. If possible, to make this side-trip worthwhile, you'd need 3 days (half day going and half day coming back by van).

Then return to LP for one day before taking a shared van or VIP bus to Vang Vieng for a day or so before hitting Vientiane. And if you book well ahead, you can fly from Udon Thani to Bangkok (or even direct to Phuket if that's where you're headed) but otherwise, you could also take an overnight VIP bus from Vientiane direct to Bangkok (and even to Khao San Road) which brings you into BKK in the very early morning (faster than the train but not as comfortable a sleep as the train).

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
4. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Is Udon Thani in Vientiane? or a different location completely.

Do you know what airline flies from Udon Thani to BKK directly?

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
5. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Sorry, I meant to ask how far Udon Thani is from Vientiane, and what is the best way? Train or bus?

Thanks

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
6. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

If I can fly from VTE direct to Bangkok would that be best or is it worth while making it to Udon Thani and flying from there to Bangkok.

Thanks in advance

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Udon Thani is in Thailand and is about 2 hours from Vientiane. You can take a mini bus from the airport.

Yes, you can fly directly from Bkk to Vientiane, but Air Asia and Tiger fly from Bkk to Udon and are significantly cheaper.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
8. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Nok Air fly Udon to Bangkok 3x a day (www.nokair.com) for as little as 1500baht and are pretty good.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Even flying thai airways it's quite abit cheaper to fly from Udon Thani than VTE to BKK, if you do want to fly from Vientiane and are going to be there a couple days I've always got a better price directly from Lao airlines at thier downtown office, probably 2hrs and $30 pp to get to Udon thani from VTE. callao

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Route from LP back to Bangkok

Just checked Air Asdia, the currently have a promotion for 1,290.00 THB Total including all taxes.

Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang