We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

volunteer in Luang Prabang

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
volunteer in Luang Prabang

Hi travelers. I have traveled to Luang Prabang before and would love to revisit and perhaps this time stay a little longer and become involved in some community work/programs. I understand there are some volunteer organisations set up in the township but wondered if anyone else had suggestions that did not cost big money. I am a social worker by profession so have foundation experience. Thanks for your thoughts.

4 replies to this topic
Cairns
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: volunteer in Luang Prabang

Hi

There has been much discussion on this site regarding volunteering in SE Asia and the general opinion appears to be that it is of necessity a long term consideration - understanding culture, language, fitting in, etc etc and short term involvement can have a seriously negative effect upon those we hope to benefit from our benevolence.

If you are serious about helping others then please research what you can provide in the way of resources to support those already delivering services those in need.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: volunteer in Luang Prabang

...or do it at a low level but helpful way by reading and chatting with young people at Big Brother Mouse. Helps with literacy and with English language, and seems to be well set up.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: volunteer in Luang Prabang

Agree with spopey.

We volunteered at Big Brother Mouse and Big Sister Mouse and it was a total highlight of our trip, we loved it.

We spent a week helping out with conversational English as well as teaching English and it was really busy and hugely rewarding. We attended morning and evening classes and spent a day out at BSM in the rural area.

One evening session was dedicated totally to teaching monks, I will never forget how great this was.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: volunteer in Luang Prabang

BBM gets a lot of publicity and rightly so. Please remember Room to Read as well. Unlike Big Brother Mouse, this is a not for profit organisation and deserves support.

Reply to: volunteer in Luang Prabang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang