We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

Plainfield, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes

On this trip I'll be visiting Bangkok, Amphawa and Chiang Mai; as well as Luang Prabang, Laos.

I must avoid any hot spices, I love all other spices. I want to avoid deep fried foods though will eat them on occasion, organ meats and fatty foods. In some places I have had my hotel write this on a piece of paper and I have usually used this in restaurants.

But on this trip, I want to eat more street food.

I know in some cases the "hot" spices are added at the end, such as chillies. I presume some dishes will have the hotness in the base sauce and there will be no way to change it? Or is it almost always added at the end or after the customer orders it?

Based on your own personal experiences, not an assumption please, will I be able to find many street foods I can eat based on the above?

Thanks for your help!

30 replies to this topic
Cairns
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
50 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

Hi

You might like to consider doing some online research on the baguette stalls and cafes in LP that way perhaps you will have more control what they put in them

Cheers

Plainfield, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

I know I can do that, but I want the street food experience which is why I asked if I can still find a lot of non hot spicy foods when selecting street foods.

I am not looking for the names of non-spicy foods, just in one's experience, if the respondents here were avoiding spicy foods or were with someone who was, if this is not a problem.

Any insight you can provide in that direction is greatly appreciated!

Bob

3. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 January 2019, 22:45

Cairns
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
50 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

Hi again

Baguette stalls "are" street food.

Cairns
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
50 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

P.S After travelling SE Asia over the past 30 years we have found that street food ingredients are mostly cooked with a mixture based on a combination salt, sugar, spices especially chilli, garlic and ginger, fried with onion etc

It is that way and has been for a very long time because it then has the capacity to preserve it in the tropics

Good luck

Ciao

chittaway bay
Level Contributor
277 posts
30 reviews
43 helpful votes
6. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

We are street food every night. Just say not spicy please and it was fine.

Plainfield, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

Thank you!

Luang Prabang...
1 post
8. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

BOB, The ladies that you see grilling meats on the side of the road have a delicious and tasty amount of Lao sausages. chicken, and pork and none of it is spicy, but all of it is delicious. I like to wander over to the night market and just as you enter there is a sweet little Lao young lady seving up sandwiches of bratworst. lao sausages, etc. and fresh lettuce, grilled onions and when she gets done with all the condiments it is the biggest damn thing you ever saw and onlt 30 B. with a beer.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
9,460 posts
557 reviews
220 helpful votes
9. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

By the night market there is a little lane where there are many stalls . Most of the locals speak some English so just say not hot and you should be fine.

Plainfield, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?

Not hot? Because in India they were confused when I kept saying not hot spicy, because I love spices just not hot ones.

Later an Indian person told me they only use hot for temperature, not spice level, so it was confusing to them lol. Not the case in LP?

Reply to: Can I find much non hot spicy street food in Luang Prabang?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang