We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Paducah, KY
Level Contributor
67 posts
303 reviews
Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Flight gets there at 7:50 p.m. and the flight to Siem Reap doesn't leave until 2:40 p.m. the next day. Not really looking to explore the area extensively but first would we be allowed to leave airport? We are early risers so can we look around the town a bit before heading back to the airport? Looking at staying at the Sofitel or the Riverview.

9 replies to this topic
Cairns
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

First - leaving the airport - some foreign travellers need a visa to enter Laos

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/laos/visas

Secondly - you will only have a few hours to wander around town before you have to get back to the airport

A couple of places of interest :-

Royal Palace Sisavangvong road,

Traditional Arts and Ethnology Centre

Enjoy

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
142 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

From where are you? You will probably need a visa. LP airport does not cater for people staying overnight so you will need to get a place in town to sleep.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Bring at least USD$35 for your Lao visa, and more for Siem Reap as USD$ is the standard currency for tourist spots in Cambodia (ATMs also dispense USdollars). Seems a shame to only have a partial day for Luang Prabang, much more to see and do than just a quick walk around town.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
7,480 posts
447 reviews
4. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Change your flights and have 2 full days in LP as it is a fascinating place

Paducah, KY
Level Contributor
67 posts
303 reviews
5. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Thanks for the comments thus far. I am a US citizen and know that we will need a visa and don't mind spending the money for such a short time in Luang Prabang. We would spend the night at the Sofitel or the Mekong Riverview hotel.

The choice is either do this or short change my time in Siem Reap, which I think we should have a few days there instead of Luang Prabang but I am open to doing whatever.

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Hi

For us Luang Pranbang is much more that just "Luang Prabang"

To do justice for the area we will be staying for nearly two weeks to also visit Sayaboury to stay at the Elephant Conservation centre, nearer LP we will visit the bear rescue centre, butterfly centre and buffalo farm at Kuang Si and take a minibus up to Nong Khiaw and a boat trip on the Mekong to Muang Ngoi and Ban Sop Jam.

We will also be In Siem Reap before Laos for over a week to travel slowly through the Angkor Era from its early beginnings at Sambor Prei Kuk in the 7th century to the massive construction that occurred up to the 13th century at Angkor and the Hindu and Buddhist influence in between.

So much to see and so little time, appreciate your time appears to be limited so only you can justify how long you spend in each place

Good Luck and enjoy your trip

Edited: 14 July 2018, 00:59
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

The full cost of a visa for US citizens is $36. They charge US$1 fee for processing so you will need US$36 in cash.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
494 posts
367 reviews
8. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

If you are at the Riverview, that is such a wonderful place. You will be right by the Mekong waking up in the morning and can stroll around. Yes, it's not much time, but that will give you a great introdution to a city that we love.

Cairns
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang

Thinking more about this - guess at the end of the day you could ask yourself "Am I ever going to come back to Cambodia / Laos again"

In my shoes if I was to ask myself and the answer was yes I would go to Siem Reap and come back to see Laos another visit when I have enough time to enjoy it

If my answer was no then If I could afford it I would visit both, for even just a small taste can be better than no taste at all.

Cheers

Edited: 15 July 2018, 01:52
Reply to: Overnight trip to Luang Prabang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted