We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

Southern Pines...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

There are some good exchange locations in Luang Prabang (next to the post office and the gold shop across from Dara Market are the ones I usually use). But there are also places that try to cheat people. I recently had such an experience at the exchange shop next to Dexter's restaurant. I was exchanging money for a group and the teller try to short me 500,000 Kip! So sad. I've had a few other similar experiences at other exchange locations in the night market area. If you are ever given a LOT of small bills (5,000, 10,000 and 20,000 notes), be careful.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
4 replies to this topic
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

Hi I am thinking of going to Nong Kiaow: for two nights from Luang Prabang , has anyone been there and is it worth a two night stay.

Mentioned in this post
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang
Luang Prabang Province, Laos
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

Jem, if you have a question it is usually better to open a new thread, so your questions are not overlooked and an existing threa stays on the same topic.

Regarding Nong Khiaw, I think it is worth a 2 night trip from LP. THis way you experience rural Laos, the scenery is lovely and there are some nice outdoor activities on offer (i.e. visiting the nearby caves, kayaking or hiking). I am sure you will not regret a trip to Nong Khiaw.

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

Yes I have just been there and it's well worth it, also Muang Ngoi, 1 hour by boat up the river from NK, is worth a visit but you will need more than 2 nights really.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs

Many thanks everyone , info is very helpful .You are right Scotsman , I should have opened up a new thread. Im going, cheers.

Reply to: Beware of Currency Exchange Rip-offs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang