We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Spiders in Laos

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
210 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Giant Spiders in Laos

Hi All,

My husband just saw an article that said there are giant spiders called Huntsman spiders in Laos, I think in caves. Is this true? I think he is worried about Pak Ou caves. He insists he will not do any caves. I hat spiders but if they are not gonna drop on my head or be in my hotel room I might be okay. Any sightings?

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
18 replies to this topic
Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

We went to the Kuang Si Falls in Laos which was utterly stunning, but, as we rounded a corner along one of the 'proper' pathways we almost stumbled into the biggest web surrounding the biggest spider I have ever seen in my life. I consider myself to be a fairly seasoned traveler and was prepared for such things, or so I thought. My heart leapt from my chest. Before I left though, I couldn't help but admire at the stunning creation this thing had built. They are amazing creatures. But seeing one was quite enough. Enjoy Laos. It's a truly beautiful country. :)

Mentioned in this post
Kuang Si Falls
Kuang Si Falls
9,213 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Laos
Laos
Asia
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

I also saw the biggest spider of my life at the Kuang Si Falls actually on the other side of a window pane because it was on the bears' side. It was really impressive but didn't move one bit. And to make you feel safer, I haven't seen any other spiders. You'll see tons of geckos though.

Mentioned in this post
Kuang Si Falls
Kuang Si Falls
9,213 Reviews
Luang Prabang, Laos
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
210 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

Thank you all for your very thoughtful responses. I abhor spiders but I would never avoid a country because of them. I think my husband was more concerned about them falling on him in caves. This is my first time to SEA and I am very, very excited.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
546 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

been to Laos 3 times, saw maybe 1 regular sized spider, but that was in the woods. Did however meet some rather antisocial smartphone addicted 'travellers'?, so i would not be afraid of the nature in laos ;)

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

I appreciate this message is old now but thought it worth sharing my experience with others.

Laos has its share of spiders and I can understand why you might be creeped out on seeing one. I did see a hand-sized spider in one of the caves, not at Pak Ou though. Given the site's popularity, I'd think they'd remain well hidden, but that probably doesn't offer much comfort. You'll be unlikely to appreciate it but the Giant Wood Spider is actually a rather beautiful thing, but unless you're in the jungle areas it's unlikely you'll ever see one.

It would be a shame to not visit Laos for this reason, I only ever saw the one in the cave on my second visit even then only because I asked the guide about them and he pointed out the one we'd just passed under. Did make me think better not to know, we had to pass it on the way out!

Mentioned in this post
Laos
Laos
Asia
London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

Happy New Year btw!!

Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

The Pak Ou are not deep at all. I wouldn't worry about spiders there. We visited a few days ago.

California
Level Contributor
895 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Giant Spiders in Laos

I have seen at least six massive spiders so far in nine days here. No huntsmen, but one was giant, yellow and black striped, very distinctive. It had a huge web in a banana field.

Reply to: Giant Spiders in Laos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Luang Prabang