We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free Cigarettes

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free Cigarettes

Hi All

We will be arriving in Dubrovnik next week and are staying in Lapad Bay. Can anyone advise where to buy cigarettes. Will we be able to buy them in a supermarket or local shop or would we be better to buy them at the airport when we arrive in Dubrovnik

Thanks

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

You cannot get UK cigarettes in the stores in Croatia (at least I have never seen them !!) The Croatian cigarettes i.e. Ronhill Light are about the same as Lambert & Butler/Embassy Regal cigarettes for example in the UK but only cost 15 Croatia Kuna per packet in all the shops (around 1.60 UK pounds). Sorry do not know up to date price in the duty free though for cigarettes or remember which brands they sell as I normally just take Ronhill Light with me back to UK on visits.

Do remember though that as Croatia is not in the EU yet that you are only allowed to take 200 cigarettes per person back to the UK with you

Have a good trip !

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

Sorry should also have mentioned that in Bosnia Ronhill Light cigarettes are only around 80 pence per packet so if you decide to visit Mostar on a day trip whilst in Dubrovnik you can buy them on your trip ready to take back with you. Again you are only allowed to take 200 cigarettes from Bosnia back into Croatia per person.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

Thanks Korkula for your help, will give Ronhill Light cigs. a try. We have been to Pula and Porec before many years ago and went on a boat trip past Korkula it really looked a beautiful Island. Is this where you come from, if it is you are very lucky to stay in such a beautiful country.

Also we hope Croatia get through to the final in Euro 2008 as I think we will be in Dubrovnik for the final and it should be a fantastic atmosphere. We will be supporting Croatia with any luck.

Msida, Malta
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

Yes it is good living in Korcula - came for a visit in January 2005 - fell in love with the island and the people and decided to buy a house and live here permanent !

As to the Euro 2008 - the Croatians are going crazy already - when they beat Germany and qualified for the quarter finals every car was "beeping" its horn all over Croatia so if they make it to the final the atmosphere will be fantastic !!

Have a good trip !

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

how can you buy them at the airport when you arrive in croatia - you won't have access to the duty free until you are leaving croatia.

Why not get them at the duty free in Scotland before you go over. Thats your best option.

Then you can get more duty free on the way back.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

There are no cheap smokes (at the airport) as you arrive...only when you depart.That is a duty free concept.At the tiny Dubrovnik Airport DF shop you will find decent selection of the world brands but they did not have the bestseller domestic light brand (ronhill) few weeks ago.(I think price is at least half less than in the regular shops...)

I hardly believe anyone back at home/UK will go through your bags.(they do not even bother to check mine).These days the focus is on Transportation safety...shampoos,gels,liquids,rubber shoes,belts,weapons of mass destruction etc.Cancer generating/pleasure inducing items are ok.

Manchester
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

I've just come back from Makarksa and I bought cigarettes on the 'plane on the way out and on the way back. 400 B&H cost £34.00, which works out at £1.70p per pack of twenty. As has been mentioned, English cigarettes aren't widely available in Croatia, so I made sure I had a supply. Our bags weren't checked at either end, by the way.

SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

Hi our problem with buying duty free is we are flying with flyglobespan and when we flew with them to Tenerife at Xmas I dont think they sold duty free but I cant really remember. With regards to buying at Glasgow Airport I dont think you can buy them their either,but I am not sure if the fact that Dubrovnik is outwith the E.U. the rules might be different but I dont think we could buy them at the airport when going to Tenerife and it was outwith the E.U.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

yes you can get duty free going to Croatia - it is not in the EU yet - it will be shortly but not yet - when they do, they will be switching to Euros.

10. Re: Duty Free Cigarettes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 05:24