We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubrovnik May 2018

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dubrovnik May 2018

I'm trying to plan a trip for the first or second week in May to Dubrovnik. it will be our (my partner and I) first time in Croatia so we want to make the most of our time but not overdo it that we feel rushed particularly as if we enjoy this trip we are hoping to come back in the future and explore more of the country. We are probably going to go for 4/5 nights depending on flights but could really do with some help regarding the itinerary.

We know we want to explore the old town but beyond that we are unsure what will be open/running and in reach of where we are. We hadn't planned on hiring a car (but could do so if it's worth having one) so were planning to make use of buses and ferries. Although from looking into the ferries am I right in thinking most of them won't start running until the end of May/early June? In which case are we going to be rather restricted in what we can and can't do for day trips?

I've also read mix reports that the water may be quite cold still in early May and not great for swimming but do you think it will be okay and are there any areas near Dubrovnik for swimming?

Any help, advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated as planning this trip is proving harder than first though.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
12 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
59,464 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

I think that's a nice amount of time...hope someone else can help with water temps as I haven't been there in May. I think a day trip or two would be good..maybe hire a car to head to Mostar or Kotor but I wouldn't have the car the whole time...or join an excursion with a company that specializes in trips out of Dubrovnik if you don't want to drive.

Mentioned in this post
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Kotor
Kotor
Kotor Municipality, Montenegro
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
S S
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

Im not sure on water temps either. I was on the Makarska Riviera once in May and it was too chilly to swim for me but Im sure others are braver than I. Dubrovnik, being further South, may be warmer. If you want to be close to Old Town look in the Ploce area for accommodation. There you have Banje Beach. View doesn't get any better than that! Mostar is a great option for a day trip as is Elaphite Islands. You could also do an organized day trip to Peljesac penninsula/Ston/winetasting & Korcula. It would be a long day but wonderful I'm sure. Cavtat is worth a few hours...lunch?dinner? by water taxi, bus or car.

Mentioned in this post
Makarska
Makarska
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Old Town
Old Town
14,937 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Banje Beach
Banje Beach
482 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Mostar
Mostar
Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Korcula Island
Korcula Island
Cavtat
Cavtat
Konavle, Croatia
Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

I return to Dalmatia in April. Most years I get a swim or two, but I don't expect to be in the water for more than a couple of minutes. By May, on average it is about 18c, which is warmer than Brighton in August. That's not warm by any means, but tolerable for most Brits.

Mentioned in this post
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Croatia
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

I posted a blog with our itinerary for 48 hours in Dubrovnik:

https:/…

We were there in May and ferried from Split to Hvar and back, so there are definitely ferries running, I believe the schedule is just more limited! I don't recall the water being remarkably cold, we did a kayak tour around Lokrum and went swimming in a cove where we stopped. If you enjoy the ocean you can definitely go for a swim.

Mentioned in this post
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Split
Split
Hvar
Hvar
Hvar Island, Croatia
Lokrum
Lokrum
125 Reviews
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Sarajevo, Bosnia...
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Split, Cavtat, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, Mostar, Zagreb
Level Contributor
7,055 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

I normally take my first part of the annual holidays at the end of May/beginning of June and go to Makarska Riviera. I personally don't like swimming in a cold water, but the sea temperature is absolutela bearable in this period.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Makarska
Makarska
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

We visited May 2017 and found wonderful weather.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

Thank you!

I'll have a look into the day trips, I've heard the Elphatite islands are beautiful but it's good to know there are other places to visit too.

I've been looking at airbnb as there seems to be more choice in the old town.

I was torn between visiting in May or September but if the weather is okay I think it will be May out of the two.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

May is beautiful time of year in Croatia. However, if you want any swimming, September would be much better. I doubt that it would be warm enough for swimming in May unless you are very hardy.

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Ston, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Ston, Slano, Peljesac Peninsula, Mostar, Herzegovina-Neretva Canton
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

I agree, May is lovely with fresh vegetation and wild flowers. Things are quieter, and people in tourism are fresh and keen to greet visitors, rather than possibly being rather tired after the summer season. But if swimming is a priority, then May is a risk.

Sittingbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dubrovnik May 2018

Thank you for all the help.

I'm going to try to stay in or near old town so any recommendations would be very welcome.

Reply to: Dubrovnik May 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted