We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

London
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Hello

can anyone tell me how to get from Split to Dubrovnik and back again? I'm interested in other ways besides flying. I've tried looking up bus information but I can't seem to find anything in English.

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
407 posts
1. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

for bus timetables, look on www.ak-split.hr and press the union jack symbol at the bottom of the page. That will give you the site in english.

you can also go by ferry, see www.jadrolinija.hr although frequency leaves something to be desired.

There is no train line bewteen Split and Dubrovnik

new england
5 posts
2. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Just did this 2 weeks ago. The bus station in Split will give you a timetable. We bought return tickets and did this in one day. The timetable shows 4.5 hours driving time, but it is really closer to 4.75-5 hours, and the journey is only something like 200km. One thing to note - we purchased return tickets and only found out once our return bus was already heading back to Split, that our return tickets were only valid for a specific bus company, and only for one specific return time. Nobody told us this, and it was more important to get on the road given the long journey, so we had to pay 200 kuna for two singles, but the bus company did refund our return supplement money back at the Split station. They didn't have to do that but they were very nice about it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Hi KittianQueen

We have just returned from Split and Dubrovnik and LOVED IT!! We arrived from London in Split by plane, then got the bus that is directly out the front of the airport to Split town. From there we decided to go to the island Korcula first by ferry, then to Dubrovnik by bus. So point being... you can get a ferry the whole way, it will take a while, but the bus ride from Korcula was beautiful, the coastline in Croatia is amazing!! Dont know about the whole way on a bus though!!! But when you arrive in split, the options are easy to access, the ferry port is where the bus drops you from the airport!! Hope that helped, I know where your coming from though, I found it hard to find info too!! If there is anything else I can help with, dont hesitate to ask... accomodation, sights etc!! Have a GREAT time :)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
4. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Hi guys!

I will travel from Split to Dubrovnik in August. The problem is that I have to cross Bosnian territory to get to Dubrovnik and since I am Mexican I need a Visa for Bosnia (which I can't get because there isn't a Bosnian embassy in my country).

Do you guys know if there is an immigration check point in the way between the two Croatian cities?

or, I guess ferry is my best option. Thanks a lot!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

In reply to your question, washinglex, you require a transit visa which you need to apply for in person! We are/were in the same boat coming from South Africa (no embassy here).I was told to apply in London or Cairo (sure!!! we will just fly over for the day!) I guess you will have to look at ferry schedules instead. Hope this helps you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
164 reviews
6. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Cenem, we have been told that special transit regulations apply on the corridor of Bosnian territory that you pass through on the way from Split to Dubrovnik and therefore you don't need a transit visa for Bosnia (I checked because my husband travels on an India passport).

Did you really need that visa? Maybe you were travelling elsewhere in Bosnia too?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
64,954 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Yes, as far as I understand it, it is a corridor, so you will not need a visa. More than likely you will be waved through and not even be stopped.

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Hi, Chinkle. Strangely enough I checked just yesterday by emailing the embassy in London explaining that we were originally planning to take that route (only next year) and the reply was that we needed to apply for a visa in person. I then responded that we live in SA and it was only for that "corridor" - was it really necessary to get a visa? The 2nd reply today was "you need to apply for a transit visa in person either in London or cairo"! If what you say is correct, it would be easier for us. Catch the ferry from Ancona to Split and bus down to Dub as opposed to ferry from Bari to Dub, the reason being that trains from Rome to Bari seem to be fewer per day than to Split. Maybe I will check again in a few days and get a different answer.

One way or the other, if the official answer is "You need a visa" we will not take a chance and catch the bus. Not worth messing up an expensive holiday!! Sorry, guess I am not much help!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
164 reviews
9. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Did you contact the Croatian embassy or the Bosnian one?

I sounds like you are just getting standard replies about the visa process rather than specifically answering your question.

Apparently the journey across this strip of land takes about 10 minutes - would make for a pretty expensive visa!!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Getting from Split to Dubrovnik

Couldn't agree with you more re an expensive visa! I contacted the Bosnian Embassy (London)and was very specific in my questioning. I think I will try the Croatian Embassy in Pretoria and see what they say. Does seem rather ridiculous needing a visa for a short bus ride.