We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

hi :)

I'll be taking Spanish classes in San Pedro, and I like to know my options. Can I take an inexpensive, public shuttle from La Aurora Airport to Panajachel?

Or a chicken bus?

I know I can take the chicken bus from la ciudad de Guatemala to Antigua, then take a shuttle from Antigua to Panajachel for like $9 to $12 but is there a direct route? thanks

18 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

I've found I have to be patient sometimes when making reservations in Latin America. I'd give it another day and then email them.

Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

Thanks for telling me about the Rebuli bus, it looks like a better alternative to shuttles :)

Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

yes, you're right :) in the U.S. things are much, much faster. Thanks sooo much for all your help.

They did reply back, no availability. If you know of another that has a similar service, please pass it along, thanks sooo much!!!

Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

I see from your other posts that you've been to Guatemala before and speak some Spanish. The Rebuli bus shouldn't be too much culture shock for you. A few things to remember:

- Don't believe anyone that tells you that their bus, labelled "San Pedro," or "Xela" takes you directly to Pana. They will drop you off at Los Encuentros where you will have to take a different bus to Pana, possibly changing buses a second time in Sololá. The few times I've taken the Rebuli bus it came about 10 past the hour and left at half past.

- Your main bag will probably end up on the roof so make sure that nothing fragile or valuable is in it. If there is any chance of rain, make sure to pack your things in plastic bags (also a good idea for the lake crossing anyways).

- Last January, the price for the Rebuli bus was 30 or 35Q. Everyone pays the same fare. You pay the ayudante once the bus leaves Guatemala City.

- In Pana, get off at the first stop. Walk back to the gas station and then head directly down that street to the dock. You can take a tuktuk if you don't want to carry your bag that far.

- The price for the lancha to San Pedro is 25Q for foreigners. Usually you pay when you get off, once in a while when you get on. Only pay the boat captain. You can take either a direct boat to San Pedro or an indirect boat that stops at every town and dock that has someone standing on it between the two towns. Just ask when you get close to the dock for the boat to San Pedro. Don't ask too far back and don't believe anyone who tells you the next public boat doesn't leave to 2 or 3 or 4 hours and that you need a private boat. They leave at least every 30 minutes during the day, sooner if full.

Level Contributor
21 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

Thank you for everyone's help, I just wanted to share the link to an inexpensive shuttle bus for travelling from Guatemala City to Panajachel atitrans.net/index.php…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

$25-30 is typical for that route, I think. Have a safe trip, whatever you decide.

Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

Atitrans is a reliable company. Be aware though that the shuttle isn't direct and goes through Antigua where you will have to change shuttles. It will probably be late picking you up as it will go to the Airport first. The advantage is that you won't have to be taking taxis as it will pick you up at your door and drop you off at the boat dock in Pana (probably).

Have a great trip.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
905 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana

Atitrans took me to my door in Pana, although I was "encouraged" to get off at the dock: "Es la última parada," they said. "No nací ayer y pagué por puerta a puerta," I said, and they took me to my hotel. They did screw over a couple of less assertive travelers in the process, though.

Reply to: What's the easiest way to get from La Aurora Airport to Pana
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Antigua