We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-February Visit?

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Mid-February Visit?

My husband and I are thinking about a Washington's b-day visit to Nantucket. We are frequent visitors to the Cape, have been to Martha's Vineyard, but never Nantucket. I realize that the weather might be iffy, would hope to be able to walk around town a bit, drive the island (we'll be bringing our car) and generally explore someplace new. Looking for a reasonably priced hotel (that is open in Feb!) and also reasonably priced restaurants. Would like to stay "in town" and be able to walk to stores and restaurants. Any help with this would be appreciated!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
15,911 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-February Visit?

In February, the weather won't be "iffy".

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-February Visit?

Ok, what does that mean???

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-February Visit?

Hi, Bayley.

I won't get into the weather on Nantucket in February, since you kinda know what to expect. The good thing about Nantucket is the ocean actually insulates the island from the very chilly temps experienced on the mainland. So, it'll be cold I'm sure, but tolerable.

You will find shops and restaurants to enjoy, but February is February, and many will have shuttered for the Winter. I'm sure it'll have that look and feel of quietness, but quiet can be a good thing too. You're only planning to visit for a long weekend, so I'm sure you'll find enough to keep you two happy during your visit.

It's no different when it comes to Lodging. You'll find most places, or at least half the places, closed for the Winter. The hotels don't have a big enough guest demand to keep employing the Housekeeping, Cooks, and so on, so it's best they close for the season and get things ready to go for the following Spring.

Same goes for the B&B/Inns. Most of those are run by owners who spend Winter in Florida, or other warm climates. Then they return to the island come Spring or early Summer, just like the birds do, lol. That said, there are places that stay open year round. I wouldn't advise you stay in a hotel, since the best ones, like the White Elephant and the Cliffside Beach Club, will be closed when you visit. Go with a highly rated B&B or Inn, like the Centerboard Guest House or the Brass Lantern Inn. Both of those should be reasonably priced for your visit, and both are located in town. I think I would choose the Brass Lantern, but wherever you choose, make sure to inquire about parking. Don't just assume they'l have a spot for you.

Edited: 29 October 2010, 02:45
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
15,911 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-February Visit?

It means you can expect to see some of the lousiest weather of the year. That's when New Englanders can't wait to go anywhere south of here where it's warm and snowless.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-February Visit?

The weather could be awful and it could be great just be prepared, maybe book with an Inn where you could cancel if a big storm is approaching. Nantucket is very nice in the winter and quiet. You may even see seals on the beaches. Many restaurants will be closed but one I enjoy is 56 Union and I subscribe to their RSS and they just announced a new menu with less expensive entrées for the winter. Definitely worth giving it a try.

I found this flyer which gives you an idea of what specials were being offered last winter:

http://tinyurl.com/2desnky

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-February Visit?

"great" is a relative term here, esp. from someone who lives in Alaska ;-)

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,404 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid-February Visit?

I lived on Nantucket year round for 6 years and New England for 22 years so I do know what the weather is like. It is always windy on the island but there really is hardly any snow. New England weather is fickle and that includes Nantucket. The island could have 50 degree days in January and February and also have -10 it's kind of a crap shoot and that is what I meant.

I miss the New England changeable weather. In AK when it's winter it's winter no Indian summer there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid-February Visit?

-10 on Nantucket doesn't happen too often. In fact, it's never happened before. -3 was the lowest recorded temp on Nantucket, and that happened back in 1962. Average temps for February are 40 degrees for a high and around 27 for a low. With the wind chill, however, I bet it can feel like 10 below at times!

If anyone is interested in a trip to Vostok Station on Antarctica, they hold the record for the coldest recorded windchill at -192. Don't forget to bring your bathing suits!

Nantucket...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid-February Visit?

The good things about Nantucket is in February:

1. No crowds.

2. Amazing walking trails. Check out the map at http://www.nantucketlandbank.org/

3. You can find a parking space in town with no problem. (Despite what a previous poster said, parking will be ample and free.)

4. Karaoke and trivia at the Rose and Crown

5. Lively Selectmen's meeting on Wednesday night

6. Cisco Brewery is open, there's live music on some nights, and you can bring your dog or your baby. They serve until 7 PM.

The not-so-good things:

1. The most miserable weather of the year. I mean, it's the bleakest of the bleak. My dog and I love it, but I have to tell you that unless you bring several layers of fleece, good socks and boots that you don't mind getting wet, you will not want to leave the car. (That said, there have been a few 45+ degree days in February in recent years that were actually quite lovely.)

2. The five year-round restaurants take turns closing for one or two weeks in February, so your choices will be severely limited.

3. Did I mention the Selectmen's meetings?

G.

Bethel, Connecticut
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid-February Visit?

I wouldn't plan it in advance... there will be plenty of room in the Inns & Hotels. So watch the weather forecast, & if it's going to be nice, then it should be worth the trip, because Nantucket can be beautiful in February.