We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

Lacombe, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

We are planning to travel through Nicaragua end of July & all August - my husband & I with 14 year old daughters. Flying into Managua, then to Granada, then getting out to travel along both coasts.

We are very conflicted on whether to continue as planned or change plans entirely. Any update on actual current safety status would be appreciated.

7 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

NO NOT SAFE. As the past 10 or so threads have indicated.

American Airlines is cancelling its late flights into Managua because there's nowhere safe for the flight crews to stay overnight. That is something of a hint.

That could change, but if things don't change there's no way you should go.

Edited: 14 June 2018, 01:52
Union City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

You're traveling end of July into August. Anything can happen in 1.5 months. If you are really worried and don't want to stress about it, change your plans now. Otherwise, just keep checking in the news for any updates and change your plans accordingly once its closer to your travel dates.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

I'd probably give it another couple of weeks but you should probably start looking into alternative arrangements now as there's a very substantial risk things won't improve enough over the next month to permit travel.

While it's true anything can happen in six weeks, history generally teaches us that it takes a lot less time for things to blow up than it does for things to return to normalcy. Right now in the major cities there are streets being dug up to make barricades, homemade mortars being built, and pickups full of paramilitary shock troops wearing masks with machine guns and sniper rifles roaming the streets.

Do things go from that to "sure, come on down, safe for kids" in six weeks? I would not bet on it.

Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

Today we have a National Strike, and tomorrow the president has accepted to be on a National dialogue so hopefully everything will take a little turn tomorrow for better or worse.

So for any update feel free to email me byronortega@hotmail.com or Whatsapp me at 505 88039312

Kind regard

Corona, California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

Don’t go it’s not safe. My flight was canceled. I’ve been following the news and it’s not safe. In addition we should respect its residents and acknowledge what they are fighting for.

ometepe
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

I live in Nicaragua and cannot believe the miss information out there. We are not in a civil war. There has been civil unrest and over 100 people have died. There has been great strides made in negotiations in peace talks over the last week. Including an agreement to remove roadblocks and allow international committees investigate for human rights violations. Traveling into the SW of the country and the Corn islands is safe. It may be good to mention we have lots of children in this country, and most of the schools are open and people praying for resolution to a difficult last 3 weeks. personally I think your fine...just avoid the cities: Masaya, Granada, Managua, Leon.....there is where most of the problems were. I live in Ometepe and have to say it is amazing. You can hop on a plane in Managua, or travel by taxi to get through the cities.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,188 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?

Those peace talks have already ended in failure because the government broke its promise to allow international observers in.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/world/article/Ch…

The argument that "of course it's safe as long as you don't drive in 2/3 of the country" is not very convincing.

Masaya declared independence last night and now there is machine gun fire in the streets there.

Reply to: Family Traveling to Nicaragua-safe?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua