We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety update please

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety update please

Anyone with an update on political unrest in Nicaragua and impact on travel safety in Managua and surrounding areas, please? Thank you.

29 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety update please

There are people peacefully protesting against the government, tourists have not had a reason to worry.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety update please

Thank you!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety update please

I would not visit right now. There’s a civil unrest going on in the country

Chester
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety update please

I’ve been here over 2 weeks now and for sure yesterday’s blockades were a new development. It still feels safe though but transport as things stand could be awkward. If I was planning to come when the blockades are in place, personally, I would still do so but I would change my plans to visit the south and east of the country - which look really interesting and beautiful and have not really had major protests. I’d then keep an eye on developments and consider going to the towns and mountains of the north once the blockades were lifted - if that happened while I was here. Generally, to avoid being inconvenienced by protests, I’d stay in hotels that are a little outside the centre of towns.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety update please

How has Granada been?

Chester
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety update please

I’ve been twice in Granada in this trip. First time, I saw an anti government demonstration - noisy but peaceful - lots of blue and white Nicaraguan flags being waved. Next day, the FSLN counter demo was out. Red and black flags flying on convoy of motorcycles. Just like the good old days! Again peaceful and easy to avoid. Could have been a bit inconvenient if your hotel had been in its path but I was staying a little outside the most central part.

Yesterday, despite blockades elsewhere there was no problem getting into town but there was a bit of trouble last night. I heard a little noise but slept through it. All was back to normal today - market bustling etc. 6pm now and all seems calm. Going out for dinner later as usual. I’ve not felt unsafe here -and have enjoyed it - despite things going on sometimes in specific areas from time to time.

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety update please

Everywhere in nicaragua has been safe. We had no issues anywhere except in Managua. The only issue we had in Managua was protestors blocking roads but everything was peaceful. We even walked all about Managua, protestors were everywhere but not rowdy. Taxi drivers and shuttle drivers were reluctant to take us to the airport however.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety update please

Thanks for the updates about Managua. Glad to know everything remained peaceful.

West Vancouver...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety update please

100%Noticias in Facebook will give live updates and it doesn't look pretty.

Chester
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety update please

Probably my final update from on the ground in Nicaragua. Granada was calm this morning and I reached Managua airport without incident - roads clear this morning. It’s been a great trip. But after two very calm weeks things have been bit more volatile in the last few days. Not had an impact on me at my destination - but would have done if I’d been in Masaya yesterday. Issue is for ease of travelling north of Granada if road blocks continue or get worse. Hopefully, things will calm down again but there seems a bit of a vacuum at government level which leaves things unpredictable and long announced talks haven’t yet started. So outlook less good I’d say than when I arrived. All you can do is keep an eye on the news and make informed judgements (keeping things in perspective of course) about what is best for you. I’m really glad I came :-)

Reply to: Safety update please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Managua