We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

Is the bed on the train comfortable enough(2nd class) and how's the bathroom?

I'm considering between take the night train or just go straight to St.Petersburg and do a day trip to Veliky Novgorod. Thx.

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
1. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

Hi, bed is comfortable enough, you have to share compartment with 4 people but it is safe. Bathroom is only a toilet, for most of the train it is just a hole in the toilet pod, new ones has nice bio toilets. No shower.

It is ok ride for short trip but I would take it for 4 days like Moscow - Irkutsk.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,285 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

It's OK. In summer they run an additional older train which may be in worse shape.

Edited: 01 February 2018, 18:52
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
359 posts
3. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

@Pichakucha

If you are traveling on Sat. or Sun. you can arrange other type of train transport. Search forum for the recent post on "Chudovo" (w/o quotes).

Redding, California
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

Very nice, it was comfortable, the food was excellent, the matron was friendly and multi-lingual, and the service spot on. I missed the scenery, but being able to sleep and be awake in the AM when we got to Novgorod was outstanding. I would definitely do it again!

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

The train is good and comfortable, if you can sleep on trains. To me a little sgort ride for a sleep, but anyway saves a hotel night. A faster daytime alternative is via Chudovo, on a fastvtrain from Moscow and connect to a local train or taxi (fastest).

Enjoy!

Missouri
Level Contributor
6 posts
6. Re: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?

We took the overnight train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod three weeks ago. We were in 3rd class & shared our bedding area w/ two really nice young Russians are their way to a business meeting. Had booked lower berths since we're seniors & all went well. Most people were sleeping within an hour of departure & we woke up at 4:30 am & used the toilet prior to the rush of everyone else waking up. Had breakfast at a McDonalds near the station after arriving. The following afternoon we took a 3 hr. bus to St. Petersburg. We're glad that we spent a night in VN vs. a daytrip...was much more relaxing. Can recommend Hotel Akron for a low-cost, good hotel w/ good location & very good Georgian restaurant across the street.

Reply to: How's night train from Moscow to Veliky Novgorod?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted