We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Canada to Russia

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
How to get from Canada to Russia

I am planning on going to the world cup next year. What will be the best and cheapest way to travel from Canada to Russia?

Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

As there are no buses and trains, you are pretty limited to flying... So keep checking airfares. Where are you heading to-you have match tickets? If yes, than you look for that city as destination (do not forget about Fan-IF and visa-free), or Moscow as major transit hub.

Alternative possibly cheaper ways to get to Russia are Helsinki if going to St. Petersburg (trains or buses), and European airports which are well-connected with Russia, like Prague.

Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
2. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

Thanks for the info. I was actually told that flying to Istanbul and then taking a bus or train to Moscow could be a good option to save some money. Eventually, I am going to Kazan for a couple of the games.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

I have to ask you to look at the map. Istanbul to Moscow train (if ever existed) would take at least two full days, passing several borders and different rail systems... Flying from Istanbul is worth checking, direct to Kazan as well, but am afraid the whole Middle East would do the same...

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
4. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

<I was actually told that flying to Istanbul and then taking a bus or train to Moscow could be a good option to save some money. >

E.g

Toronto-Moscow: Miles: 4645.58. Kilometers: 7476.13

Toronto-Istanbul: Miles: 5085.19. Kilometers: 8183.59

You got the idea. Make your own conclusion )

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,274 posts
222 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

> I was actually told that flying to Istanbul and then taking a bus or train to Moscow could be a good option to save some money.

Someone pulled your leg. Don't take them seriously.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
6. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

Got it. I guess I will look for a simpler way to get there as recommended above.

Thank you all for your comments.

Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
7. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

If there are no straight flights for good price you can try to go via Helsinki - it is connected by cheap train to SPb. Also you can go to Warsaw or Berlin and take train from there to Moscow. But you will need Belarus transit VISA which is cheap easy to get. For 2 border crossings.

Or better - go To Alaska, board fisherman boat and go to Chukotka. From there take husky sledge to Magadan from where follow death road to Irkutsk. It is just 4 days by train from there to Kazan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

Alexander #7, that is an appropriate answer.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
9. Re: How to get from Canada to Russia

I like the Alaska trip idea..I have 20 days to kill and it will be a hell of an adve ture. Thanks

Reply to: How to get from Canada to Russia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted