We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

El Cajon, California
1 post
2 reviews
Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

Do not under any circumstances rent a car from Prime Management SRL dba Economy Rent-A-Car.

The lowlights:

The price quoted used an artificially high dollar exchange rate (4.3 Lei / dollar) and did not include additional fees. The car was actually rented and paid for at the real exchange rate (3.92 Lei / dollar). The priceline quote for a 32 day rental was $544.24. The actual amount charged for a 30 day rental was $660.00

If you wish to cancel or shorten your rental for any reason, there is no refund for the unused days. I returned the car 9 days early and instead of a refund I was threatened with an additional charge of $29.95 as a early return restocking fee. (I kid you not!)

The car itself was a 2 year old Romania manufactured car with significant kilometers of use (56,000). There was a cigarette lighter and ashtray provided. As a nonsmoker, I didn't really appreciate this extra.

Expect some kind of security deposit to be charged by most Romanian car companies. Typically something like 500 - 1,500 Euro. Economy charged my credit card $8383. Now almost 30 days after I have returned the car without damage, Economy has still not released my deposit.

They do not have a rental counter at the airport. After wandering around the rental car area for 30 minutes and asking the other rental car companies, I finally found my ride back to their office. In hind sight I would have been much better off if I had never found them and had just taken the hotel shuttle to the hotel.

142 replies to this topic
61. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 October 2017, 20:35

1 post
1 review
62. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

Thank you so much to take the time and write, It help me to take the right decision

A M
2 posts
63. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

A terrible experience: I booked the car through Orbitz.com. I went by taxi to the Economy parking lot. At the office, I was asked for the passport, driver license and the credit card. The documents ware taken under the counter, out of view for me. Then, I was informed that I have to authorize the blocking of $10.000 (ten thousand) on my account as a security deposit for a four days rental. They ignored that I had excess insurance covered by my credit card. I asked to see where on the rental agreement is indicated the $10.000 amount. It was nowhere in the text. I finally agreed for the the blockage. I was told that I needed then a letter from my bank indicating that I have the funds. I asked to make a collect call with my bank which was denied by the clerk. As the car rental did not respect their own rental agreement, I asked the clerk to give me a ride to the terminal. He said that they are giving rides to the customers only and that I was not a customer. It was a criminal act to send me to walk with my luggage, in full reign, for more than one mile, on a very crowded highway with no pedestrian access. Then I found out that my credit card has been charged for the full rental amount, even if I was not theirs customer. I complained to Orbitz which is fully responsible for the transaction but, this far, nothing happened. I asked Orbitz to remove Economy Rent-a car from their list of vendors and to give me full refund of the charged rental fee.

A M
2 posts
64. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

A terrible experience: I booked the car through Orbitz.com. I went by taxi to the Economy parking lot. At the office, I was asked for the passport, driver license and the credit card. The documents ware taken under the counter, out of view for me. Then, I was informed that I have to authorize the blocking of $10.000 (ten thousand) on my account as a security deposit for a four days rental. They ignored that I had excess insurance covered by my credit card. I asked to see where on the rental agreement is indicated the $10.000 amount. It was nowhere in the text. I finally agreed for the the blockage. I was told that I needed then a letter from my bank indicating that I have the funds. I asked to make a collect call with my bank which was denied by the clerk. As the car rental did not respect their own rental agreement, I asked the clerk to give me a ride to the terminal. He said that they are giving rides to the customers only and that I was not a customer. It was a criminal act to send me to walk with my luggage, in full reign, for more than one mile, on a very crowded highway with no pedestrian access. Then I found out that my credit card has been charged for the full rental amount, even if I was not theirs customer. I complained to Orbitz which is fully responsible for the transaction but, this far, nothing happened. I asked Orbitz to remove Economy Rent-a car from their list of vendors and to give me full refund of the charged rental fee.

65. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 December 2017, 22:05

Bucharest, Romania
1 post
1 review
66. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

EconomyRentACar at the airport in Bucharest, Romania are criminals engaging in outright fraud. Where to start with their lies?

I purchased the rental before leaving the USA, using www.cheapoair.com . My purchase confirmation emailed from the website says that I have rented a car for a total of $78.75 . OK so far. Before leaving the USA, my card was billed $7, and I was expecting to pay the other $78 when I picked up the car at Otopeni:

But when I went to pick up the car at the airport, the agent at EconomyRentACar processed my remaining payment (adding a few anomalous fees, about which I did not complain), for a total of approximately $112.

OK, that was not so bad, and I was then expecting to take the car and begin driving.

However…, the rental agent surprised me by informing me that I also must now purchase an expensive daily car insurance from them! They gave me 2 options: One for $11.95/day or a second option for $15.95/day. They said that unless I purchased this insurance, I could not have the car.

This was a total surprise. You see, when I shopped for this rental online from the USA, I checked with my credit card, and my card already offers insurance coverage (the card’s instructions are to decline the auto rental company’s car insurance, and enjoy the privilege of having coverage through my credit card). So, at the airport when EconomyRentACar’s agent told me that I must purchase their insurance, I told them that I already have insurance through my card.

But Economy’s agent said that I must have A LETTER, in writing, and ADDRESSED TO ME PERSONALLY, saying that I have rental insurance. Otherwise, I would have to purchase the insurance through EconomyRentACar!

The rental agent said that all of these terms are found in my paperwork when I purchased the rental agreement. However, there are no such terms anywhere in my rental agreement—certainly nothing about providing a personally addressed letter from my credit card stating that the coverage that I had for a rental car.

I PHONED MY CARD COMPANY AND THE AGENTS SAID THAT THEY ALSO HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY SUCH THING AS NEEDING A LETTER STATING THE INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR ANY ACCOUNT HOLDER, AND THAT THIS IS LIKELY TO BE A CASE OF FRAUD!

Well, it does very much sound like a serious case of fraud.

I wanted to tear up the entire agreement right there at the EconomyRentACar office, but their agent then told me that I cannot cancel the agreement – that if I cancel the agreement for any reason, that I must pay anyway!

So, I then was forced to keep the agreement – and also had to pay for the daily car insurance of approximately $11.95/day in order to actually take the car.

Then, the rental agent also added that I would have to leave a $700 deposit with EconomyRentACar in order to take the car! (This was in addition to all of the other items for which he required me to pay.)

Now, a major problem with all of this is that, on the cheapoair website, I was supposed to rent this car for a total of approximately $78, but the total is not anything near $78.

Instead, it is going to be $ 112 plus approximately $229 for EconomyRentACar insurance, for a total of over $341. And, on top of that, when I return the car to the airport, the agent at that rental company will probably falsely claim that damages have been made to the car, and will attempt to take my $700 deposit. Judging from everything that Economy has done so far shows that I can expect further fraud from them. What a huge disappointment and shocking mess Cheapoair allows by doing business with that company.

By the way, when I purchased this rental online through that website, here is the only thing that is provided giving details of any insurance information that I needed:

“Special Note: Upon check-in at the rental car counter, you will be asked to provide your "Car Confirmation" number and Last Name to facilitate locating your reservation.

If you have purchased the Rental Car Damage Protection Plan, please bring a copy of the "Description of Coverage" and keep it with you, or in the car, at all times. The "Description of Coverage" should be presented to the rental car agent.”

This says that if I have purchased your rental coverage, I should bring a copy; I did not purchase your coverage, and so I did not have to bring a copy. This does not refer to my credit card coverage, but only to coverage purchased through your RentalCarDamageProtectionPlan.

Notice that nowhere in any of that language is there any mention of a requirement to bring a letter personally addressed to myself from my credit card stating the details of my auto renters insurance. However, the agent at EconomyRentACar said that all of the details should have been provided clearly to everyone who buys a rental from them online. Obviously, no such requirement of a letter from my credit card company was indicated in your notes here. This particular company is engaging in questionable, fraudulent practices.

Therefore, be warned about Economy Rent A Car here. Websites should not permit this company to engage in these practices, and I am shocked that reputable websites allow unsuspecting people to purchases services from fraudsters like that. Or… is Cheapoair actually reputable? Economy is not.

Bucharest, Romania
1 post
67. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

Hello, I recomand Carhunt rent a car - https://carhunt.ro/ . They have office in Otopeni airport

It's a transparent company with accessible prices, new car models, and the posibility to rent without a deposit. The exchange rate is the one of BNR- Romanian national bank. Also there are no invented taxes/comisons - the price mentioned in the booking is the the price that you will pay

68. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

Removed on: 30 January 2018, 19:05

69. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2018, 11:40

Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
70. Re: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)

I had a similar experience this past summer.

After paying in full through Travelocity, this company required an additional $1208!!! and $450 for deposit.

I reported them to both Travelocity and the Romanian authorities.

They are presently investigated for fraud.

Reply to: Economy Rent-a-Car Otopeni (Bucharest Airport)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest