We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Hi,

I will be traveling to Bucharest with my wife for three nights, staying at Hotel Trianon and will be there for New Years Eve so have a few questions:

1) We intend to do a walking tour early in the trip so that we can get a grasp of the city, learn about it's history and give us ideas where to go on our remaining time there - can you recommend a guided tour that will help?

2) What are the must see attractions? significant buildings/parks/museums/monuments?

3)We are both very much into our music so for 2 of the nights can you recommend areas/bars/clubs to go? I undestand that there is no 'central strip' hence my reasion for asking. we don't want to be walking around all night to find we have missed all the best places to hang out. Ideally, one night a student scene and another night a more popular scene - would be nice to get in some more dark/dingy/local bars etc where we can get a true feel of the city - with good music:)

4)Where would you recommend for New Years Eve itself? We like the idea of being out on the streets soaking up the atmosphere but also calling in a few bars - where would be the best place to go?

5)Can you recommend daytime activities?

6)Is there anything you can recommend that may not be in a tourist book but would offer a true slice of Bucharest?

Thanks

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
1. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

1. Try this (free) walking tour:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294458-d205…

2. The must see places are the old quarter (the partly renovated historic heart of Bucharest, now increasingly turning into the city's main party area ), the gigantic Palace of Parliament and the Village Museum (a large outdoor exhibition of rural houses gathered from throughout the country hosted in Herastrau park).

You can find a few other suggestions here:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294458-Activiti…

3. As I mentioned above the old quarter ("centrul vechi") is steadily becoming the place to go when it comes to entertainment (it's a mostly pedestrian neighborhood in the southern part of the city center, along Lipscani street). There you'll find well over a hundred bars, clubs, cafes etc. (of all varieties, from dark&dingy to upscale) within a 15 minutes walk radius.

4. There usually is a large outdoor party (live music, fireworks etc.) in Revolutiei square on New Year's Eve; spend some time there then head down to the old quarter (less than 10 minutes on foot).

5. Try to do a day trip to the ski resorts in the Bucegi mountains (Sinaia or Busteni; they're 2-3 hours away by train).

6. Take a walk through the luxurious 1920s-1930s residential neighborhoods in the northern part of the city (between Kiseleff and Dorobanti avenues), they might give you an idea on what Bucharest could have become.

2. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 November 2011, 18:20
3. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2011, 14:05
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
361 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Definately take the walking tour; link provided above.

If you do that you'll get all sorts of ideas as you are walking.

You'll pass and take a short walk down Lipscani St. on the tour and get an idea of that central area loaded with bars, restaurants, pubs, coffee houses, etc.

You end near the Hilton Athenee; a gorgeous hotel worth taking a stroll thru.

What a great city to spend New Year's Eve in!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Hi I went Romania earlier this year and stayed in the Ice Hotel which was an amazing experience because it is only built once a year, worth a visit if your going as it only stands between Dec-April. I went with Untravelled Paths and they organised transfers and private tour which was very helpful.

Another interesting place I visited was Dracula castle which Christina took me and my partner. She also recommended a lot of the bars which i forgotten the names of but we bought beer for around a £1.... so good this place does not use Euros!

During the day you can go on a 1 day ski trip or take a tour to sibiu.

www.untravelledromania.com have a look at their itineraries and packages!

facebook.com/pages/…121751563691

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Hi,

Thankyou for your replies, some great advice there - really looking forward to our trip now.

Thanks

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

Make sure you don't miss the outdoor parties on NYE!

There are usually several parties/concerts, one for sure in Revolution's Place just in front of Hilton hotel and sometimes a second one in front of People's House (Parliament's Palace). You can walk (15min) between them.

Alterme pointed out nicely major things to do while here.

The walkable area is no more than 4 square km so you can easily get around. A short taxi ride from the old quarter area will take you to Village Mueseum and Peasant Museum, they're both on the northern side and you can walk by the nice building from the beginning of the 20th century (Kiselleff area).

There weather was surprisingly warm in this first half of December as it usually get way bellow zero (especially around NYE), maybe you get lucky and enjoy Bucharest without having to wear gloves and so as for going to North Pole.

Have fun!

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

I will also be in Bucharest this NYE. Any ideas on maybe NYE parties? clubs with great views or just great venues to be at NYE?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :-D

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

I will also be in Bucharest this NYE. Any ideas on maybe NYE parties? clubs with great views or just great venues to be at NYE?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :-D

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
10. Re: Bucharest New Year 2012 - tours? sights? nightlife? fun?

As mentioned above there will be at least one large outdoor party, it's usually worth checking out.

There will also be New Year parties in practically all clubs. Entry fees are higher (sometimes substantially) than usual but on this occasion they cover food (usually a buffet) and drinks.

Try Kristal ( 34 Regina Elisabeta boulevard), Studio Martin ( 61 Iancu de Hunedoara boulevard), Bamboo (50 Tuzla street) etc.

Get answers to your questions about Bucharest