We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

Hi there,

I'm hoping to visit Romania end of June/early July from Hungary. Can anyone please tell me what are the options between Budapest & Bucharest by either train or bus? I have tried to research a little bit but only found a 16hour train journey?! is there any way that is a bit more direct other than flying?

Thanks every so much!!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
1. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

I don't think it's possible to do this route in less than 15 hours by train or bus. But Romania's main tourist sites are located between Budapest and Bucharest, you don't have to go directly to Bucharest.

Between Budapest and Bucharest there are two direct trains daily (the trip takes 15-16 hours as you already found); both trains have sleepers, so it can be a relatively comfortable journey.

There are also some buses, which make the trip in 16-19 hours.

A faster option which involves some flying would be use the budget airline Wizzair from Budapest to Targu Mures (takes one hour, tickets from £10) then catch a bus to Bucharest (6 1/2 hours, £14).

constanta
Level Contributor
327 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

Hi,

If you're going by train try not travel during the night in Hungary because some people got robbed while they were sleeping. I personally know a couple.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
1 review
3. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

Hi alterme,

Thank you so much for your informative reply! I'm guessing you're quite familiar with Romia, would you mind advicing me where I may visit along the way from Budapest to Bucharest? I will spend around 5 days in Romania, i am open to anything :) Also, I hope I'm not sounding ignorant, but is it relatively safe for a single girl to travel Romania? (p.s. I am an Australian citizen but originally from Hong Kong so I am Chinese as well) Cheers!

Hi prettypink76,

Thanks for your tip, I will certainly keep that in mind!! and hold onto my things if I do fall asleep on a sleeper!!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
4. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

The main tourist destinations along your route are the historic cities in southern Transylvania (Sibiu, Brasov, Sighisoara). They all have well preserved medieval quarters, landmarks, museums and numerous sites around them (castles, old villages etc.)

If you have 5 days you could do this:

a) fly from Budapest to Targu Mures as mentioned earlier, catch a bus to Sighisoara (just one hour away from Targu M<res), spend about one day there (or take the direct night train from Budapest to Sighisoara)

b) catch a train or bus to Sibiu (a 2 hours trip), stay there for a day;

c) catch a bus to Brasov (2 1/2 hours), stay there for two days (do a day trip to the old royal palace in Sinaia, to the fortified churches in Prejmer and Harman or to the so-called Dracula's castle in Bran);

d) catch a train to Bucharest (4 hours), spend the last day here;

It's reasonably safe to travel through Romania as a single girl (in fact it's safer than doing the same thing through Western Europe).

Being Chinese you might occasionally attract some curios looks, but it's nothing to be worried about.

Budapest, Hungary
1 post
5. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

I've been travelling for many years across Europe. You might be robbed wherever if you are careless if riding through the night. I got robbed in Poland, and I know people who got robbed in Spain, Italy, Romania, Czech Republic, etc. This is just irrelevant to advise that you should not travel through the night. If you travel at night, don't forget to hide your valuables where they are not easily found and lock your door if possible. That's it. Some common sense. Greetings from Hungary, P.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

straniero2 is right ... everywhere is the same if you are not carefull.

7. Re: Budapest to Bucharest by train/bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest