We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Which Bucharest hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Hi Guys. a few of us are thinking about getting the sleeper train from Bucharest to Chisinau (Moldova), I was wondering what the price per person would be ? and what train station in Bucharest you would need to go to catch this train ?

I would really appreciate any replies.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

A two way ticket costs 45 euros in 2nd class and 65 euros in 1st class, plus the sleeper supplement: 3.5 euros for a bed in a 4 beds cabin or 7 euros for a bed in a 2 beds cabin.

All international trains, including the one to Chisinau, use Bucharest North station ( called "Gara de Nord" in Romanian).

There is one regular, daily train, which starts from Gara de Nord at 7.53 PM and reaches Chisinau the next day around 9 AM.

At this time of year there is also another train coming from Bulgaria, which leaves from Bucharest at 4.03 AM and gets to Chisinau the next day around 5.30 PM, but it doesn't run daily.

dublin
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Thanks for that. How much would a one way ticket ?

dublin
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Thanks for that. How much would a one way ticket cost ?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

I guess a one-way ticket costs half of the prices mentioned above.

M S
London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Ah, you again!

The price for the tickets as of April 2007 are 24.50 Euros for 2nd class couchette or 38 Euros for 1st class couchette. You can reserve tickets directly with Wasteels in Bucharest in advance by email at marketing@wasteels.eunet.ro. They're quick to reply and speak very good English. You can then pick up and pay for the tickets at Wasteels office near the main door to the concourse at Gare du Nord Station in Bucharest up until 5pm on the day of travel. Take your a print out of your email reservation with you, if only to persuade the security guards on the station doors that you're there to collect tickets - confusingly you're technically not allowed in the station without a ticket. Wasteels quote in Euros but prefer payment in Romanian Lei.

Gare du Nord station is where you'll be getting the train to Chisinau.

The train is a Moldovan one, bit faded and will be like a furnace if you're travelling in the summer months. It's also likely to be busy so book your tickets in advance. As with the Chisinau to Kiev train there aren't that many Westerners travelling this route so your passports will cause a brief kerfuffle early in the morning when customs board the train. There is a bureau de change at Chisinau station offering similar rates as everywhere else, and a million bureau de changes all over the city otherwise.

Hope that was of some help!

Houston
Level Contributor
47 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

I've made this trip, and decided "never again". I think I paid about E45 for the best sleeper one way. The price for the same deliverable is different if you purchase in Bucharest or Chisinau.

The other ways, whether Carpatair or the bus, are easier on your body. Air will be more expensive of course, but not hideously so. You get there in a few hours via Timisoara; good connections. The minibus is cheap but risks being smoky. Pick them up on Str Nicolae Iorga near Piata Romana in Bucharest.

Why not the train? Mainly because the border crossing is about 3+ hours of grinding and shaking (as they change the wheels carriages under you because of the gauge change at the border) at about 2am-5am. I guess it could be fun if you are having a little all-night party with friends, but if you're hoping to sleep, forget it.

Going back is a bit better; the wheel change takes place before midnight.

They have at least 2 classes of sleeper available. Sanitary facilities are less than lovely, but you can probably deal with it. Bring your own provisions of all kinds. Enjoy!

Istanbul
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Do they accept bikes?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

They'll probably ask you to disassemble and pack the bike, but usually it can be "arranged" ($$$) to carry it whole as well.

chisinau
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

How would you take that bus?

I am trying to get from Chisinau to Bucharest and then back again

help?

thanks

chisinau
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bucharest to Chisinau ?

Hey could you tell me about the bus? how would you do that?

I am trying desperately to get from Chisinau to Bucharest and then back again and need a cheaper and efficient way to, i know, impossible in Moldova

but what about the bus?

thanks