We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with money in Bucharest

Athens, Greece
9 posts
1 review
Need help with money in Bucharest

Hello guys, I would like to know what the best way to use my money in Bucharest. Should I withdraw 2 large amounts of money(cash) from Romania's ATM or should I exchange my euro cash to exchange center in Bucharest? I will be staying in Bucharest around 3-4 days and I'll spare 1 day in Brasov. Can I pay with my credit card? I would be thankful if somebody can give me a tip!

Thanks for your time!

10 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
1. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

Hi

Best option is to use the card and get cash from ATMs. unless your bank has high fees for that.

Using exchanges offices is OK too, except those at Bucharest airport.

In general you can pay by card, but smaller shops and restaurants may not have card readers so you should have some cash with you anyway,

On another note, it would be best to change your plan to 1 day in Bucharest and 3-4 days in Brasov (the area around Brasov is more interesting than Bucharest).

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

You can also find ATMs which will exchange EUR for RON at the bigger banks. The rate usually isn't as good as some of the kiosks, but you don't pay commission. The machines will take worn/written-on notes; the bank tellers and kiosks may not.

Athens, Greece
9 posts
1 review
3. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

My banks has fees: 1% * of the amount of the money I want to withdraw, with the minimum fee is 3euros.

It's my first travel, and I am totally newbie, and I really need some help! So, I should have some cash in euros, and when I arrive at the city, I should go to exchange office and then what? How does euro to leu is happening? What I am paying exactly?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
4. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

You can use your card, those fees are relatively OK. After you land, go to one of the ATMs in the airport's Arrivals hall (any ATM except EURONET), put your card in, choose the menu in English and select or input to withdraw 1000 lei.

That's about €210, which should be enough for 4-5 days if your accommodations are already paid.

Athens, Greece
9 posts
1 review
5. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

Thanks for your help, also I would like to ask, my bank has subsidiary company in Romania. Does it means, that if I withdraw money from their ATM's I won't be charged with fee or it's irrelevant?

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
6. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

In general all fees are charged by the bank that issues the card, not (directly) by the bank that owns the ATM.

You will probably still be charged the fees due to your bank even if you use their subsidiary's ATMs, but do check the terms and conditions on your bank's site or contract.

Athens, Greece
9 posts
1 review
7. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

Alright, thanks for your time!

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
89 reviews
8. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

The credit card is an easy way to get around but you must remember the fees your bank. Normally, subtracting money from a subsidiary should not give you fees. The only thing is that you must be careful are the exchange rates from exchange shops vs the fees of your bank. I recommend not exchanging money from the airport as the exchange rates are not very favourable. 1 euro is 4.66 lei. To give you a hint: 10 subway rides are 20 lei, a big bottle of water is approximately 2.5 lei. A hamburger with fries at McDonald's is 5 lei. As you see the prices are not big for usual stuff. I recommend changing euro to cash and in case of extra money (which maybe is not that probable) you can use your credit card for an emergency solution. For exchanging, i recommend exchange centres in Bucharest (more favourable than the banks exchange). Hope i helped you a little bit :)

Athens, Greece
9 posts
1 review
9. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

Should I exchange a small amount at the airport, so I can go to the centre, and after that, I exchange money at exchange offices?

Do you guys recommend any exchange office?(If it's not allowed to post here, can you PM me?) Thanks in advance and for your time :D

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
10. Re: Need help with money in Bucharest

The fees charged by your bank really aren't that huge - if you take out 1000 lei/€210 they'll charge €3. That's OK as long as you don't make multiple transactions.

If you do decide to exchange offices, rate differences between them are marginal (except those at the airport) so it doesn't really matter which one you use unless you're exchanging thousands of euros.

Don't change anything at the airport; if you want to take the bus (783) pay by card and if you want to use taxis use Uber or Taxify.

Reply to: Need help with money in Bucharest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest