We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

H K
4 posts
Save Topic
Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Arrived in Bucharest this Saturday from the US on a week long business trip. I'm a US citizen and have been traveling on business for 20+ years and have been to six of the seven continents. Let's start with immigration officer lady. Here is a list of questions asked with a degrading tone.

Why are you here?

Were you invited?

Do you have an invitation letter from the company?

How many days?

She then took my passport and went to another booth. Not sure what she was doing. Perhaps running a check on my passport.

She comes back and the questions continue..

Do you have any money?

How much money are you carrying?

Where are you staying?

When I said Hilton Athenee Palace, she would not believe me.

Do you have reservations for hotel? She needed a copy.

Since I did not have a printed copy, I told her I can find the email on my laptop. So, she sent me back to the line to find the email. Once I found the email, I went back to her since she was holding on to my passport. She literally spent 2-3 minutes going over the email, not sure what she was looking for. Then finally, reluctantly, she said "OK" and gave my passport.

I had two other colleagues waiting for me and watching the whole process from the other side of the booth. They mentioned that they were not asked for their itinerary or any type of questions I mentioned here. Must be racial profiling. I really don't care. Just a heads up to anyone else. FYI.. I have light tan skin.

12 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Before you immediately scream racial profiling maybe you should consider other factors that may or may not be germane to your colleagues and others and applies only to you. Things like route of flight, other countries you’ve been too, travel history, notwithstanding what they know and you don’t about possible suspects that meet “your” description concerning anything from rape, theft, homicide, terrorist, etc., that has been entered into Interpol. Romania has the right, like any country, to screen incoming foreigners and you should be more appreciative of the fact they let you enter.

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Those are all standard immigration questions, for any country. I don't see that you can complain just because you were asked and your colleagues were not.

If she were reaching for the latex gloves at the time, I'd perhaps have a bit more sympathy.

Besides, having recently suffered the indignity of the hapless US immigration at JFK, I'd say any US citizen whinging about another nation's immigration should STFU....

H K
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

This was just meant as a heads up to others to be prepared, just in case they come across something like this. People should have the decency to at least appear respectful and not judge people by the color of their skin. You don't need to attack me for this - take a look at your description comment.

H K
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Impvan ,sorry to hear that you were mistreated at JFK. With Trump in power, I would say things are only going to get worse. I'll find out when I get back to the US.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Now you know what it’s like for non-US passport holders arriving in the USA. I’ve stopped visiting the USA because of the unbelievably rude and appaling behaviour of the immigration staff I’ve received and witnessed.

USA
Level Contributor
75 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Again, in lieu of looking at alternative reasons you immediately think someone has “attacked” you because of your skin color or they provided an alternative reason outside of your mindset. I can assure you I have traveled much more than you and to immediately assume race and skin color is automatically the reason for extra scrutiny is the exception rather than the rule that I have found in my travels and occupation. Especially not the case in Romania.

7. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 20:13

Mosul, Iraq
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Sorry to hear that has happened to you. Immigration officers are rarely nice all around the world, and they could be very pestering if your not holding a 1st world country passport. I've been to the US multiple times during Bush, Obama, and Trump; and America has, by far, the rudest and most demeaning immigration officers if you're "not white"

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

There are very many different types of immigration officers. Some are lax and wantto getit over with quickly. Others are strict and meticulous. Difficult to conclude if it's racial profiling or not. Also depends on the staff's mood at any moment.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience

Came through Otopeni yesterday. Immigration officer was silent and humourless. I’ll take that!

Reply to: Beware if you are not White - OTP Immigration Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest