We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

Hello, Tripadvisor!

We're heading to Bucharest on 26th of Dec and are staying until the 1st on January. I would be more than happy to hear suggestions for NYE. We would be interested in booking a table in a nice restaurant in the old town area and then head out to see the fireworks. Undfortunately, I haven't been able to find a decent restaurant by myself, so maybe someone could suggest a nice place for a young couple? (also, please do not recommend bars or nightclubs - I'm a boring teetotaler and would like to spend a nice evening :), also the ~200eur hotel restaurants, e.g. Marriott, are too pricey, about 50eur per person would be perfect).

Also, does anyone have some "must see" places to suggest for us, too? :) We're interested in some museums (e.g. the Peasant Museum), some shopping, lots of eating :D, and other nice things to see and do :)

Tldr; please recommend a decent restaurant in the old town area for the NYE (no bars or pubs) and suggest some other fun things to do during a 6 day trip :)

Best wishes,

Getter

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

Oh, and also - can I do the bookings for the NYE parties online or do we have to wait until we get to Bucharest on 26th?

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
5,995 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

If possible, you should modify your plan to spend a few days elsewhere; two days are generally enough for Bucharest and there are many other interesting places in the country.

For instance you could easily spend 3-4 days in the Sibiu or Brasov areas, which would give you easy access to the various castles, old villages, churches, mountain resorts etc. around them (plus a fairy tale Christmas market in Sibiu). Public transport works normally, main roads are clear of snow (albeit crowded) and tourist sites are open (except on the 26th and January 1st)/

At the very least plan a few day trips from Bucharest to the above mentioned areas.

As for Bucharest restaurants, it would be best to check the reviews on https:/…Restaurants-g294458-Bucharest.html .

After you find one you like, check their website or contact them for the NYE dinner offer. Preferably book before Christmas.

The must-sees in Bucharest are the Palace of Parliament, the Village Museum (not the Peasant Museum, that is a different and not particularly interesting place) and the Old Town (where there's also a vast selection of restaurants).

For shopping you could try larger malls like and AFI Cotroceni or Baneasa Shopping Center. The main Christmas market will be held in Constitutiei square, in front of the Palace of Parliament.

Many tourists also seem to enjoy the Therme spa north of the city.

Edited: 19 November 2017, 15:53
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

Thank you! Yes, we're taking a trip (a day trip though) to Bran and Peles castles and Brasov with a small group of tourists and have also decided to spend a day in the Therme :) we're staying quite near the old town, so all of the most important "tourist attractions" are easy to reach :)

Lyon, France
Level Contributor
302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

New Year's dinner for 50 Euro a head I would check quality twice. In the Old Town Bucharest, about all eateries are fast food types with various titles. In any event, do bring your wallet. For Therme, go early, as they open, later it will be so full, you will barely be able to move around.

Bridgnorth, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest

Old town is not the best spot for restaurants but if you are set on it then Sinbad is good, Aubergine pleasant and Carucubere fun if touristy and cheesy. There is a Greek place I like as well but I don't recall the name.

Reply to: 6 days and a NYE in Bucharest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted