We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Trondheim, Norway
4 posts
Save Topic
Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Hi

Me and some friends are coming out to Bucharest next year, and I'm in charge for finding some fun activities. Getting to drive the Transfăgărășan with a proper car would be a great experience!

But I'm having trouble in finding someone that rents out a sporty car. Do you guys have any tips for where I should look?

As long as the car is fun to drive, I'm not that picky. A mini Morris or a Subaru Impreza could be just as fun as a Porche imo.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

9 replies to this topic
Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

See for instance http://www.bavariamobility.com/

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Do it properly. Try to find an original Dacia 1100 or Oltcit :)

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

If I may, when do you plan to visit?

Driving the Transfagarasan "like a boss" needs a little bit of extra planning. The road is closed between Nov. 1st and about June 15th every year because of snow.

Then, in the high season, it is usually so jam-packed with eager tourist traffic that driving it feels more like rush hour Bangkok.

So if you are coming more for the driving experience than the views, I would say choose a date... let's say before July 15th or after September 10th, or as close to those dates as possible.

Trondheim, Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Thanks fort the link alterme! Looks good.

And Vokial, that is a very good point, we are going in april, so I guess that plan just went into the drain :-p

Maybe i should adjust and rent some cars and go visit some castles instead. Are there any other fun roads I could try that would bring me in the direction of Bran og Peles possibly?

Or on the other hand, if you have any other tips for fun stuff for a bunch of guys, that would be much appreciated.

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

In April you could still do open parts of the Transfagarasan: the northern section between Cartisoara and Balea waterfall or the southern section between Capataneni and Capra chalet.

All mountain crossing roads are fun/scenic but the major ones are too crowded for sporty driving.

You could try going to Bran via Campulung Muscel-Rucar, that one is relatively less busy (except on weekends). Then move on to Sinaia for the Peles castle and drive up to Cota 1400; while you're in the Sinaia area ask if the Transbucegi road is open, on top of the Bucegi mountains just west of the resort.

Another fun car-related thing you could do near Bucharest is dirt racing, see http://www.autocrossarena.ro/contact/

Dundee, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Hi,

Here you have a link. Unforunately it is not in English.

www.inchirieri-masini1.ro/localitati.html

As you can see is not difficult to understand:

Rezervare(Reservation) Online

Model autovehicul(car)* :

Perioada de timp(time period) :

zi(le) (days, how many)

Incepand cu data de(starting date):

Nume / Prenume* (name/Surname):

Numar de telefon(phone)* :

Email* :

Comentarii(more information):

Change the year clicking on double>> and the month > It is written there that they are able to bring the car at the required location. I was just searching on tripadvisor.co.uk something for my son and only tried to help thinking that in Romanian will be much easier to get information.Car renting is in Romanian: 'Inchirieri masini'. You can find lot in Bucharest and I am sure they have speaking English staff. If you would like to translate something else for you, my email is emilia.gheata@gmail.com.

Come in summer and enjoy the incomparable scenary!

Trondheim, Norway
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Thanks again all, and particularly alterme.

That seems like a great idea! I'm now kind of thinking driving Buchurest - Bran - Into the southern part of Transfăgărășan - Turninging around whenever we need to - Buchurest.

Might be a long day, but i think we could get to see a lot!

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

For another fun activity, April is a good month for rafting. The Buzau river is pretty close to Bucharest and hosts frequent one-day rafting tours.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
127 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan

Oh, and also, Bucharest is a pretty fun place for young people to hang out in, go to bars, party all night long etc...

Reply to: Renting a (fun/sporty) car in Bucharest for Transfăgărășan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted