We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

Piraju, SP
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

I'll be visiting Bucharest in early August and I would like to know about realiable exchange offices in the city. I also would like to know if it's still possible to buy a bus ticket from the airport to Piata Unirii using a mobile phone, as I've seen on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29nK3drwUs

5 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
1. Re: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

Almost all exchange offices are OK, except the ones in the airport.

And yes, you can still pay for the bus via SMS (send message with text E783 to number 7458).

scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

Exchange office in the airport you definitely don't get a good rate. I had to use it because I had some lei left which I wanted to spend at the duty free only to find out they don't take there own money at it which was very strange.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

While there are countless exchange offices in Bucharest, you'll likely get the best exchange rate at one of the banks and can always withdraw directly from ATMs if you want to skip the line and not have to bother with traveling with cash. Most of the bank websites that list the exchange rate. Pick the best one & simply stick with that. If you're staying for an extended period of time, its worth checking the exchange rate every couple of days or so. Also, as with anywhere else in the world avoid the exchange offices and ATMs in the airport, if possible.

Lastly, yes, you can still pay via SMS for the bus if you have a Romanian phone number (which you most likely will not). You can purchase the bus ticket online, at a kiosk, or at the booth.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
207 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

Please advise where i can buy bus ticket online. Thx.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
5. Re: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport

You can't buy it online.

Online it's only possible to recharge a card that you already have.

Reply to: Exchange office in Bucharest and bus from airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bucharest