We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Romania in June

4 posts
4 days in Romania in June

Hello!

I have made plans for the trip but I am afraid I might have overplanned a bit. We will be driving with rental car. Here is the schedule:

1st day- we will arrive in Constanta at 9AM and our only plan is to get to Curtea de Arges for the night. Not interested in Bukarest. We will only make stops when needed.

2nd day- we will drive the Transfagarasan and make few stops (Poenari castle, some waterfalls and Balea lake) and we will try to be in Turda before it is too late to check in. Is it even doable? When we have time, we can spend half an hour in Sibiu, but it is not mandatory.

3rd day- we will start at 9 AM with visiting Turda Salina and then we will drive through Sighisoara to Bran. Maybe we will make a stop in Brasov as well, but we can skip it if the timing gets too tight.

4th day- we will start by visiting Bran castle after it is open at 9AM and then we will drive to visit the Peles castle. After that we just have to get to the Mamaia Beach for the night and next morning we have a plane to catch at 9AM.

Basically we are not interested in drinking and partying. We do not want to spend too much time in towns etc., we would rather spend the time in nature.

Here are my questions, if anyone could only answer them all :)

1. Have I overplanned my days?

2. Is there something amazing worth of seeing on my route?

3. What does it mean if google maps says the roads are with limited or private use? (orange color). I mean I know what it means but does that mean it is impossible to drive there?

4. How long does it take to climb to Poenari castle and back?

5. Are there some roads which are better to avoid?

6. When we drive from Peles castle to Mamaia- is it wise to take smaller roads- for example from Ploiesti to Slobozia? Is there something to see?

The route is- Constanta- Curtea de Arges-Cartisoara-Sibiu-Turda-Sighisoara-Brasov-Bran-Sinaia-Constanta.

Thank you!

P.S. English is not my first language so please be kind if I have made some mistakes :)

6 replies to this topic
Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
1. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

1. Although you can reach these places within your allotted time, you would spending most of the time on the road not in nature. So it would be best to cut half (the Sibiu - Turda part) and do Constanta - Curtea de Arges - Transfagarasan - Brasov - Sinaia (Bran is skippable) - Constanta.

I hope you're planning to do this from July onwards, when the Transfagarasan is fully open,

2 Sibiu, Brasov and Sighisoara are worth more time. You should also try to visit some of the old Saxon villages, at least Prejmer or Harman on the outskirts of Brasov.

3. Not sure which roads you're referring to, can you give a location for one of them?

4. At least half hour each way.

5. Preferably use only motorways and major roads (the ones with the DN prefix).

6. In principle no, but it depends on which days you will be traveling. The main roads between Sinaia - Ploiesti , respectively Constanta-Bucharest ill be extremely crowded on Saturday afternoon/evening.

The road between Bucharest to Constanta will be very crowded on Friday evening.

If you're going on one of these days use secondary roads.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
2. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

Just read the title :-) When in June do you plan to do this?

To be honest, it would make more sense to focus on sites inside Dobrogea (the region where Constanta is located) and do the places you mentioned on another trip, flying to an airport closer to them (Sibiu, Bucharest, Cluj, Targu Mures when it reopens).

There are plenty of things to see in the area near Constanta - most notably the Danube Delta (2 days), as well as the Macin hills, Cheile Dobrogei canyon and caves, the ruins of the ancient Greek city Histria, Enisala fortress, Trophaeum Traiani mausoleum, the Murfatlar vineyards and rock-hewn churches etc.

Edited: 31 May 2018, 23:00
4 posts
3. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

Hello again!

Thank you for your answers. I kind of guessed it is a bit too much but I have nothing against it that mainly we are spending the time on the road. I bought the plane tickets already in January and I have booked the places to stay in Curtea de Arges, Turda, Bran and Mamaia. I planned the route based on the things I NEED to see (Turda, Transfagarasan, Black Sea, castles). I know it is going to be slightly crazy but I dont have the possibility to stay for longer. Actually the title is slightly confusing- we will arrive on the 30 of June so it is mostly July :)

Just to be clear- not interested in wineyards, churches, monasteries and nightlife . The highlight of the trip for me will be Transfagarasan and I can skip things if needed.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
4. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

Well, OK then.

On day 1 if you leave from Constanta at 10-11AM you'll be in Curtea de Arges around 3-4PM (Constanta - Bucharest ring road - Pitesti - Curtea de Arges) which would leave you enough time to also do Poienari ruins that day (they close at 6PM). In fact, if you can still change hotel reservations, it might be better to stay for that night at the start of the Transafagarasan (in Capataneni or further up towards Vidraru dam), it would save you one-two hours next morning.

On day 2 Curtea de Arges to Turda via the Transfagarasan would be a 6 hours drive without stops, so try to leave before 10AM; notify your accommodations you plan to check in late.

On day 3 leave from Turda before 12 noon and definitely don't skip the stops in Sighisoara and Brasov.

On day 4 you'll probably leave from Sinaia around 1PM and arrive in Mamaia around 5PM (Sinaia - Ploiesti - Bucharest ring road - Constanta).

Just as a note, salina Turda is just the best know/most modern but not the only one - there are similar salt mines in various parts of the country (Praid, Slanic Prahova, Targu Ocna, Ocnele Mari, Cacica). It would have been simpler to visit the one in Slanic Prahova, as it's close to the Sinaia-Ploiesti road.

4 posts
5. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

Thank you so much for your answers, alterme! Based on your suggestions I changed my plan a bit- we will spend the first night in Capataneni (pensiunea Denisa) and will try to climb to Cetatea Poenari on the first day. We try to wake at 7.30 each day so that at 9AM we are ready to move (especially when we visit Salina Turda and Bran Castle). I have a few more questions- should we exchange more cash or is it possible to pay by card (we have both debit and credit- Visa, Mastercard, Maestro)- for example gas stations as this is our biggest cost. Is it possible to drive from Bran Castle to Peles Castle using roads DN73, DN73A and DN1/E60. It says in Google maps- This road has restricted usage or private roads. If anyone has any good advice or suggestions I would gladly read them. Even dont know anymore what to ask :)

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
6. Re: 4 days in Romania in June

No need to exchange, you can get lei from ATMs when passing through towns. Get some more cash for your stay in Capataneni and along the Transfagarasan, elsewhere you'll easily find ATMs.

In general cards are accepted at gas stations.

You can drive from Bran to Sinaia on DN73 - DN73A - DN1 without any problems.

The note on Google Maps is referring literally to the alley into the castle's yard; obviously you can't drive on it, you need to leave the car parked in Sinaia.

Reply to: 4 days in Romania in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted