We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slovenia to Zagreb help

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Slovenia to Zagreb help

Hello :)

I will be travelling in Dec 28th to Maribor from Ljubljana to see the city and from there heading to Ptuj to see the castle and following that we will be heading to Trokoscan in Zagreb and in the night residing in Zagreb. Do you think this is doable in a day? We will be hiring a car from Ljubljana and will be leaving early morning to cover these three places.

Is it safe to drive in winter? Can I easily cross the Zagreb border or there will be a stop to check my passport?

Please advice, thanks

11 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
544 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

Zagreb is the capital city of Republic of Croatia.

There is a border between Slovenia and Croatia and you will have to go trough immigration control. If you have EU/EEA/CH you will just need to show your passport or ID.

If you are fit to drive you can do it in one day ... you will have not much time at every place.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

Thanks for your response, is it easy to drive from Pluj to Trokoscan? Or is it too hilly and twist and turn

Europe
Level Contributor
544 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

As I remember it is not hilly ... there are few curves near Trakoscan Castle ... but I wouldn’t call it hilly. Really depends what you consider hilly.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

It's a slow windy road to Trakoscan, which ever route you take from Ptuj. With small amount of daylight at that time of the year, I think three stops is too much. If it were me, after having visited Ljubljana, I'd drop Maribor but your interests may be different.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

Good point by richard A. It's dark as midnight at 5pm these days.

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

" is it easy to drive from Pluj to Trokoscan? Or is it too hilly and twist and turn"

If you take what on the map may seem to you as "the shortest road" from Ptuj to Trakoščan, and, as some pointed out, in late Winter afternoon (already dark) - yes, this may be less than enjoyable experience for you.

However, I'd recommend you the main road E59 which nowadays may be mostly highway. (I'm not sure, but I heard that the Slovenians finished their construction of a supstantial chunk of it.)

Right after the Croatian border, there is a turn for Trakoščan. So, this way, you'll be driving only a short portion of local roads.

Edited: 01 December 2017, 06:48
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

And, yes, comparing to Trakoščan and Ptuj castle, as Richard pointed out, Maribor is less interesting. Start early from Ljubljana so you don't spend much of your daylight (so precious in the Winter) on driving to Maribor.

Edited: 01 December 2017, 06:52
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
7 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

Thank You, Yes I am planning to leave as soon as its sunrise. Are the roadsigns in English and would it be easy to follow the directions if it’s not in English?

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

English uses the same names for places as Slovenian, so you will have no problems with signposts. Other road signs are just about all international symbols. You won't have a problem. Remember that if you are using motorways or express ways, your car requires a vignette, available from petrol stations.

Europe
Level Contributor
544 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Slovenia to Zagreb help

Road signs in Croatia and Slovenia (I think) have different colours than in Dubai. Green background means sign for / on motorways (avtocesta / autocesta).

Yellow is local road. Blue are roads between towns / state roads.

Dont forget to buy vignette for Slovenian motorways.

Reply to: Slovenia to Zagreb help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted