We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

My family is going to be spending 5 months in Croatia and our eleven year old is a HUGE sports kid. She averages about 7 hours a week of skating/training and is worried when we get to Croatia there won't be any type of league/group for her to join. We're arriving in Zagreb April and staying through Aug 2018. She doesn't speak Croatian very well but is a very quick learner with languages. She'll also be attending an IB international school for three months. We need to find something to keep her busy. She's up for a challenge, perhaps a new sport even.. but we have no idea where to start. Especially with us arriving in April.

When we return to Canada she'll be back to her high level sports, so she wants to keep active as much as she can... anyone have any suggestions? She's a team sport kind of kid. Training alone isn't her thing.

TIA.

Best Seller
Five Island Speedboat Tour Featuring...
206 Reviews
from US$117.60*
Likely To Sell Out
6 Islands and Caves Small-Group Tour...
182 Reviews
from US$170.60*
Best Seller
Dubrovnik Sea Kayak Tour
438 Reviews
from US$32.30*
7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Does she like soccer or basketball? Those are sports that seem to be pretty popular in Croatia, judging by their national teams' results, and from people of Croatian descent that I know. I doubt they have even heard of lacrosse in Croatia.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
62,038 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

I would also think hockey would be a tough find too as it hasn't been popular there yet.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Handball is very popular - can be very physical and is very exciting to watch - it's an Olympic sport with male and female teams. I don't think you'll find lacrosse - I've never even seen it in the UK. When you say hockey I've realised you mean ice hockey - Zagreb has ice rinks and ice hockey but I don't know what is on offer for school age kids and throughout the summer when you're there. Thinking of other Olympic sports that Croatia does well in - rowing, water polo, sailing. And soccer is the national sport.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Soccer, water polo and basketball are huge in Croatia. Lacrosse is primarily a North American thing.

Skiing as well, but that's not really a team sport.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Lacrosse players are more exotic than vegetarians but - there is one club in Zagreb.

Hockey is fairly popular ( Zagreb only ) but more as trendy fan support than huge players base.Months ago Medvescak club let another Cannuck girl (Justin Bieber) play/train along.

English is widely spoken since kindegarten ( thank you facebook ). Some local athletes work really hard some rely more on talent and how to score with tricks and minimal effort. Soccer also has strong femine side.Diving after minimum contact ,crying to referee and all over the web.

Edited: 02 December 2017, 01:38
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
62,038 posts
88 reviews
6. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Good info Kefa!

1 post
7. Re: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?

Dear, You can find lacrosse in Croatia. There are three clubs in Zagreb, one in Split and one in Varaždin. Unfortunately they only have senior teams.

Reply to: Girls Hockey? Lacrosse? Eleven year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted