We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have any reason to be afraid?

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Topic
Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I'm a black woman who's planning to travel to Albania with a friend and her family. I have read many disturbing reviews regarding racism in Albania, and how it's really bad. I'm not one to generalize, and most of the albanians I've come across have been nice. I'm just wondering if there are some things/places I should be especially cautious of?

Thank you for answering my question

Edited: 21 March 2012, 02:18
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
87 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I went to Albania with a friend and she is black.

We had no problems at all, just the people kept staring in a strange way at her. I hated it...

Edited: 21 March 2012, 18:04
Durres, Albania
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I asked my "black" African friend who lives in Tirana this question a few months ago after reading similar reports. She said to me that she has never experienced any form of racism in Albania over the 5 years or so she has lived here and she feels safer than when she lived in Sweden. When her teenage daughter comes to visit she makes local friends in no time. I myself as a non-Albanian have experienced the stares - but I think that's a bit of curiosity and a cultural approach to anything different - much like the personal questions such as old are you, where are you from and how much money to you earn, are you married...It can make you feel uncomfortable but if you have travelled other places where you get stared at such as Vietnam then you might already be used to it.

Have a great trip.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

Hi, wow can't really believe that there are 'Black people' in Albania? I am black and I travel to Albania quite regular as my husband is albanian. I do get stared at but have never had anyone say anything to me. The stares can be quite harsh but I feel the people are curious more than anything. I travel into the village Berat where I feel more alienated but the village know me now which makes me feel better. I would love to see a Black person in Albania that would really make my day.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I'll be in albania this summer, you might see me there - as I'll probably be one of the only black people there.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I will be going 9th June - 19th June :) when will you be travelling? Will you be staying Tirana ?

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

I will be in albania 27st june - 24 july! Have a nice trip! :)

Durres, Albania
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

You are welcome in Albania. We, albanian people, are very friendly and are characterized by hospitality.

I have a black friend of mine from Hamburg, that often come to Albania and he has no problems.

May be, there any one staring at you. But don't forget if i go to any other country with black people, they can star at me also.

There are no racism problems in Albania.

Enjoy your stay in Albania.

3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

Have a lovely trip too :)

Stockholm, Sweden
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

Thank you for all the answers! :-)

Edited: 17 April 2012, 07:35
Tirana
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have any reason to be afraid?

Hi,

Well I am Albanian and let me tell you there is no reason of being afraid when traveling in Albania. Well the thing about racism I never heard of it, yes we are a little bit nationalist and mostly when marriage among different nationalities is involved and is mostly because of the differences in the culture. We like to act nationalist and racist but we treat foreigners with most due respect and welcome them in our homes. About the staring let me tell you that is not only due to you skin color but we like to stare at people, especially in small cities where every one knows each other and they stare at you to understand where you might be from, if you are a tourist or other stuff. So do not worry. Is all a cultural thing. And welcome to our country.

Get answers to your questions about Albania