We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Bahrain
10 posts
Save Topic
Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Hi,

I am interested in travelling in FP but I don't want the whole resort thing. I would like to stay in maybe small beach bungalows etc and travel from island to island. Any thoughts anyone?

Many Thanks

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

There are plenty of small mom&pop type resorts that are much cheaper (and much more basic) than the main (and expensive) hotels. While I've no personal experience with them I can point you to some websites that feature them. Here are a few I'm aware of:

http://www.tahitiguide.com/@fr/directory/details.asp?filter_1=/2/21/&&prestations=/1/5/&office=110

http://www.boraboraisland.com/tostay.html

hostels.com/en/…RecordID.10287

http://www.mai-moana-island.com/

http://www.temanuata.com/

... or simply do a search on "Bora Bora Pensions", "Moorea Pensions" etc.

Also the local experts here can doubtless direct you to some of the more reputable places.

Ken

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Hi lozza:

There are a myriad of places to stay on these islands that aren't resort type properties. Many islands have pensions that are wonderful! Small bungalows on the beach for the most part. Some of these are:

RANGIROA:

pension chez josephine

MOOREA:

hotel hibiscus

les tipaniers

HUAHINE:

pension mauarii

BORA BORA:

hotel matira beach

Village Temanuata

Chez Rosine Masson

Chez Robert & Tina

Chez Nono

Chez Rosina

Village Pauline

bora Bora Yacht Club

Mai Moana Island

Le Paradis

Pension Lagoonarium

Pension Anau

Relais Matie

Camping Henriette

Camping Chez Aldo

have fun!

sunny regards,

shully

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Hello Lozza

there is a Tahiti for everyone, and there are definitley accomodations for varies styles of travel. My first suggestion would be to purchase Jan Prince's Tahiti & French Polynesia Guide published by open Road Travel. Most of the budget accomodations are in that book with contact information.

Have fun planning your trip to this wonderful destination.

Regards

BO

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Ia orana

So much more choice also at :

www.haere-mai.pf/index.php?page=accueil&lg=en

For moorea also check :

www.farehamara.com

www.linareva.com

Enjoy FP.

meherio

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Hi there,

I don't know if you are interested in traveling via boat but I'm taking the Aranuicruise in March because I want to see some of the other islands (i.e. Marquesas) plus do a bit of relaxation on Moorea and Tahiti. The Aranui is a freighter with cabins and also a dorm room. I've actually booked the dorm room because as a single traveler, the cost is significantly less than a cabin with the single supplement or sharing with an unknown person.

I haven't taken the cruise yet but I decided to do it as it seemed like a different sort of trip/cruise than most of the others. If you want more details send me a private message.

nancy

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

On Moorea, check out www.faremooreamiti.com. Affordable budget bungalows (with an equipped kitchen, which also saves money), on a white sandy beach with sunset views, within walking distance to grocery stores and restaurants. Our favorite place!

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Barbie

did I tell you that we checked out this place while we were there and were quite impressed. I am considering it for a girl friend getaway in the spring.

Regards

BO

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

Bo,

I'm glad you got to see it! It's one of the best-kept secrets on Moorea, great accomodations and a cheap price!

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,754 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

This article was posted today in Tahiti Presse:

Amex Travel writer offers "Tahiti luxury vacations on a budget"

(Tahitipresse) - The Internet Web site Articlesbase has posted an article by an American Express Travel writer proposing "Tahiti Luxury Vacations on a Budget", trying to counter experienced travelers' conception of Tahiti as not a "budget friendly" destination.

Virginia Morgan, identified as writing tourism and travel articles for AMT, or American Express Travel, describes Tahiti and Her Islands as an increasingly top luxury travel vacation destination. "Tahiti has a lot to offer for travelers of all types," from honeymooners seeking intimate seclusion to active divers to families searching for a unique experience.

"But the number one drawback is the perceived cost of Tahitian travel," Ms. Morgan wrote in her article posted on Oct. 4 on the Articlesbase Web site. Adding to that perception, she wrote, are "such hotels as the St. Regis, the Le Méridien and the Le Taha'a Private Island Resort", which is now known as Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa.

Ms. Morgan came up with three options "for travelers who have their hearts set on Tahitian luxury vacations". They are:

The Bora Bora Club Med Resort, "one of the most prime locations" on Bora Bora sporting "one of the few all-inclusive experiences in Tahiti". Although "an older resort, it's well maintained and the price is right".

Privately owned and operated "inns, motels, bed and breakfasts and villas...usually run by a native family" with "more modest accommodations". For Ms. Morgan, "This also means less people and more privacy…" offering "travelers interested in a luxury travel vacation a taste of rustic charm."

Princess Cruise Lines' Tahitian Princess "offers all the amenities you are interested in on a well-equipped boat for the most minimal price… Talk about a cheap luxury cruise! This ship, carrying only 700 passengers, offers some of the best and up-to-date amenities. Prices start at only $1,039 per person."

10. Re: Non-luxury travel in French Polynesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 12:19